[ga] Moving Discussion Off the GA List

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:58:01 -0400, Peter de Blanc wrote:
Subject: RE: [ga] Motion to the Chair

> I agree with these comments. If only there were some way to move the
> discussion of "procedures", and "suspensions" off the "ga" list, it
> _might_ be possible to discuss issues like UDRP, LDRP, .ORG and other,
> perhaps more significant business.
>
> Personally, I devote a lot of time to the ICANN process. I consider it a
> responsibility to read the "ga" list- but my patience is wearing thin,
> and it is taking too much time out of each day for what I regard as
> "non-productive" communications.

Thank you, Peter.  It has been my view from day one, expressed many times,
that the substantive debate too easily gets diverted by discussion of rules
and procedures.  It was for that very purpose that I asked Danny to set up
[ga-rules] and other special purpose lists.

Since then I have found it very difficult to persuade some people to comply.
My requests to do so have prompted further debate on rules, lists and powers
of your elected persons.  Note I even need to be careful saying "officials"
or "representatives" as this would undoubtedly spark more debate.

So we have come to a fork in the road.  I cannot press the issue further.
We must all agree to discuss procedural issues on [ga-rules].  We have
discussed enough.  I therefore propose the following motion for a vote of
the full General Assembly.

(1)    The GA list should be reserved for substantive issues relating to DNS
policy.  All debate relating to rules, lists, protocols, procedures, etc.
should be debated on GA-RULES.  However, subscribers to GA-RULES may, by
consensus, refer issues to the full GA for a determinative ballot.

(2)    The list rules should be amended to include the exact wording of (1)
above.

I would appreciate this being agreed to.  Do I have a second?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss