[ga] [Fwd: Automated Cross Posting Limits]

Re-posted here at the request of the Alternate Chair.

Bill Lovell

--
Any terms or acronyms above that are not familiar
to the reader may possibly be explained at:

Excellent idea, William, and improved upon by Patrick's
suggestion. The server has a clock, of course, and can
determine the time periods without regard to the location
and time zone of the sender. A person goes past 5, and
they get it returned. No subjectivity, no appeals, no
nuthin'.  (I'm assuming that the clock would not be put
on ga-full -- the place to complain, methinks.) It was for
those kinds of tasks that computers were invented,
wasn't it?  :-)

We're discussing the limit of 5/24, but the heading refers
to "cross posting." The server could be programmed to
preclude that as well, or indeed to route a  post to the
list on which the subject was first raised, which would
preclude people -- no names, please -- from list hopping
unless they took the trouble to edit the subject line.
(A bit far out, I'll admit, but maybe worth thinking about.
But maybe not.)

And imagine the bandwidth spared because we'd all be
done discussing this issue.  I say start it up -- not to be
meddled with for at least 3 months, and let's see how it
works.

My congratulations to both William X. Walsh and to
Patrick Corliss -- and to Kristy McKee and anyone
else whom I've not noticed who may have added to
the idea.

Bill Lovell