From: owner-ga@dnso.org [mailto:owner-ga@dnso.org] On Behalf Of Thomas
Roessler
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 5:58 AM
To: DannyYounger@cs.com
Cc: ga@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [ga] Motion to the Chair

On 2001-07-08 22:03:42 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>I took it upon myself to tabulate the comments posted to our list
>in the last month.  From June 8 to July 8 there were 1021 posts to
>the main GA list by 62 individuals.  Six people accounted for half
>of all the posts.

[...]

>Let us consider what our list would have been like if these
>individuals were on holiday during the last month.  We would have
>received 502 posts from 56 people spread over 31 days (an average
>of one post per individual about every 3-4 days).

>I have come to the conclusion that the needs of this Assembly
>might best be served by further restricting the number of
>allowable daily postings in order to cut down on the "noise".
>Perhaps a maximum of two posts per day per list would be sensible,
>if vigorously enforced by our list monitors.

As you demonstrated yourself, it would be entirely sufficient to
enforce the existing rules - at least in the case of regular
offenses.  Just imagine what would happen if the list monitors were
doing their work: The six people you mentioned (with the possible
exception of Patrick) would be "on holidays", and the list traffic
would be considerably reduced.

So there is really no actual need to further restrict the number of
postings per day - IF the current rules are actually applied.

Note, BTW, that those who suggest "fuzzy" posting quotas (it's just
one over the 5 posts per day) are basically just trying to push the
posting quota up.

Saying that minor violations (one or two postings ov er the quota)
don't lead to sanctions is just equivalent to lifting the quota to 6
or 7 postings per day.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/