Re: [ga] Letter from Lynn to Sheppard

Danny and all assembly members,

  It would seem reasonable to inquire just what these funds for the
DNSO Secretariat would be used for, specifically and broken
down appropriately before any constituency should consider
collecting additional funds for the Secretariat function.  Until
this has been completely delineated, asking the constituencies
for such funding seem premature.

  Another method of raising funds would be to ask the GA
members for donations as an interim measure and/or to
augment the funding for the Secretariat function.

  My personal opinion is that the sum of $100,000 is a bit
high...

babybows.com wrote:

> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc05/msg00289.html
>
> Phillip:
>
> Several weeks ago, you forwarded a resolution from the Names Council
> to Vint and me requesting that ICANN include $100,000 in the
> 2001-2002 budget to provide support for the Names Council
> Secretariat. I want to bring you up to date on this matter.
>
> The Finance Committee, which is advisory to me and the Board,
> discussed this request but felt that it could not consider
> recommending financial support for one Standing Organization
> independent of overall policy guidance from the Board regarding ICANN
> support for all SO's. Furthermore, it was felt that it is too late
> for such guidance to be developed for the coming year's budget, but
> that the matter should be discussed by the Board in time for
> consideration for the 2000-2003 budget.
>
> Certainly other questions arose. Since 90% of ICANN's discretionary
> funds (that is, the portion not earmarked for a corresponding
> expense) comes from certain DNSO constituencies, for ICANN to provide
> financial support to the DNSO Secretariat would in effect be
> returning funds already raised from those constituencies. In other
> words, ICANN would be increasing its expenditures by $100,000 for
> which there would be a corresponding increase of $90,000 contributed
> from certain DNSO constituencies (the remaining 10% would essentially
> come from ASO contributed funds). If those constituencies wish to
> contribute $90,000 to the DNSO Secretariat, can they not choose to do
> so directly within the DNSO budget framework?
>
> That notwithstanding, I believe it is fair to say that there is
> certainly much sympathy for the need for a properly supported DNSO
> Secretariat, and encourage your and the Names Council's efforts to
> provide for that support from among your constituencies.
>
> Stuart
> --
>
> __________________
> Stuart Lynn
> President and CEO
> ICANN
> 4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
> Marina del Rey, CA 90292
> Tel: 310-823-9358
> Fax: 310-823-8649
> Email: lynn@icann.org

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827