[council]

[council] Fw: Names Council Budget Request

----- Original Message -----
From: "M. Stuart Lynn" <lynn@icann.org>
To: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@aim.be>
Cc: "vint cerf" <vcerf@MCI.NET>; "ICANN Budget Group"
<budget-group@icann.org>; "ICANN Finance Committee" <fin-comm@icann.org>
Sent: 09 May 2001 07:51
Subject: Names Council Budget Request

Phillip:

Several weeks ago, you forwarded a resolution from the Names Council
to Vint and me requesting that ICANN include $100,000 in the
2001-2002 budget to provide support for the Names Council
Secretariat. I want to bring you up to date on this matter.

The Finance Committee, which is advisory to me and the Board,
discussed this request but felt that it could not consider
recommending financial support for one Standing Organization
independent of overall policy guidance from the Board regarding ICANN
support for all SO's. Furthermore, it was felt that it is too late
for such guidance to be developed for the coming year's budget, but
that the matter should be discussed by the Board in time for
consideration for the 2000-2003 budget.

Certainly other questions arose. Since 90% of ICANN's discretionary
funds (that is, the portion not earmarked for a corresponding
expense) comes from certain DNSO constituencies, for ICANN to provide
financial support to the DNSO Secretariat would in effect be
returning funds already raised from those constituencies. In other
words, ICANN would be increasing its expenditures by $100,000 for
which there would be a corresponding increase of $90,000 contributed
from certain DNSO constituencies (the remaining 10% would essentially
come from ASO contributed funds). If those constituencies wish to
contribute $90,000 to the DNSO Secretariat, can they not choose to do
so directly within the DNSO budget framework?

That notwithstanding, I believe it is fair to say that there is
certainly much sympathy for the need for a properly supported DNSO
Secretariat, and encourage your and the Names Council's efforts to
provide for that support from among your constituencies.

Stuart
--

Stuart Lynn