Re: [ga] What makes a corporation?

Eric and all assembly members,

  Thank you for this well worded endorsement.  I believe you are
quite right.  However lately we are seeing a few strong ICANN BoD
supporters indicating that "Criminalizing" Competitive Roots or Alt Roots
should seriously be considered.  I fine the very thought both astounding
and utterly disgusting on it's face, not to mention anti competitive, and in
likely violation of the "Fair Competition Act".  As such I don't understand
the sane mentality of such a suggestion...

  So I conclude the following:

1.) Competition in registry services other than under ICANN's management
     to be a healthy thing.

2.) Competition of "Competitive Roots"  to the "Legacy Root" or "USG Root's"
     to be a healthy thing.

3.) Cooperation between these other entities to the extent in which they
     exist or will exist should be paramount to the stability of the Internet
     and more specifically, the DNS.

4.) To contemplate contrary to points 1 thru 3 is in essence anti competitive
     in nature and not in the best interests of the stakeholders or the stability
     of the Internet as a whole.

Eric Dierker wrote:

> The presidential directive, the resulting CFR, the later letters of DoC, the entire
> contracting and RFP procedures establishing ICANN and wresting power into non-USG
> hands, the Green and White papers and the contract with ICANN is so filled with this
> correct decision that any rational man, with this knowledge could not possibly reach
> a different conclusion lest he be of a larcenous intent.
>
> Jeff Williams wrote:
>
> > Bill and all,
> >
> >   One method that does work is real competition!  >;)
> >
> > William S. Lovell wrote:

> > > You may be right, Stan. If that were the case, corrective measures
> > > would be required.  Among the responses (not necessarilty to me,
> > > but back and forth between others), I find the spectre of the large
> > > corporation having huge voting power, since they sell votes and
> > > they can pile up endlessly. (It is only in this kind of weird Internet
> > > context that the selling of votes, with prices listed, is announced to
> > > the world.)  So the next question is, what good are they? Is it not
> > > the BoD that ultimately makes the decisions on various things? I
> > > have seen nothing that would legally bind the BoD to do anything
> > > -- except as some have pointed out, abide by the Bylaws and
> > > have a DNSO.  But where does it say that those things on which the
> > > DNSO speaks out, presumably on the basis of what its various
> > > constituencies have voted to do, must be followed by the BoD?
> > > And if the BoD does its own thing regardless, what recourse is
> > > there?  I can think of a few, but would like to be educated as to
> > > what viable options really exist.  (One suggestion I saw a few
> > > days ago, that everyone boycott so that the DNSO disappears,
> > > I don't see as viable.)
> > >
> > > Bill Lovell

Jeffrey A. Williams