Re: [ga] MOTION: Request for a GA resolution on an IDN holders' constituency (IC)

Bill and all,

William S. Lovell wrote:

> I'm missing a rational connection here. In one case, "power" comes from
> buying up tons of votes; in the scenario below, "power" comes from
> buying and controlling tons of computers tied to the internet. In either
> case, how does the buying of this or that rationally imply the right to a
> correspondingly larger voice in Internet affairs? Either of these seem
> to me to dilute out the voice of the individual.

  Agreed.  As as such both of these seem to be in stark contrast
or disagreement with the White Paper and the MoU as well.
Yet we do see some constituencies purposefully denying access
or membership selectively in a manner that is inconsistent with
a particular individuals right or wish/desire to be there.  Hence
leaving the individual no voice or vote.  Selling votes as the
BC seems to be doing, is another method of disenfranchising
by pure power of $$.  Also this would be in stark disagreement
with the White Paper and the MoU as well.  Yet the ICANN
BoD allow it to occur.  Why?

> However, I would emphatically concur with the idea that constituencies
> need precise definition as to the perspective from which thie members
> speak -- not as to specific positions on specific issues (although what
> that might be might easily be inferred from the perspective -- but rather
> "is this the voice of the individual, a small business, a large business, a
> hobbiest, a merchant, an entrepreneur with an invention?" (I know lots of
> people of this last type -- many clients open up shop on the web the day
> the patent application is filed) and so on.
>
> Again, none of this definition notion precludes anyone from joining any
> constituency, but it would give the person looking around an idea of
> whether that person was joining a compatible bunch, or would be
> walking into a den of wolves.

  How true.  However have you seen this:
http://mars.bcdnso.org/Directoryservices.htm
which seems to indicate that some very large companies seem to be of the
belief that they are small businesses?

> Bill Lovell
>
> "McMeikan, Andrew" wrote:
>
> > I think that to propose the creation of an IC it at least needs a little
> > definition to go along with it rather than just implied on the subject line.
> >
> > in general there are
> > 1)the mass of users
> > 2)some of those produce content or contribute in some way to the overall net
> > 3)some control a single (non-transient) computer that makes up part of the
> > internet
> > 4)some can exercise control of several computers  that are part of the
> > internet
> > 5)some control large numbers of computers on the internet
> > 6)some control vast chunks of internet resources both computers and pipes
> > 7) ICANN wants one root to bind them
> >
> > I think that we need to explicitly specify the level to be represented,
> > e.g.. IDNO requires 3, at-large implies 2
> > Individuals constituency sounds like it is open to 1 (although active
> > participation would bump them into 2)
> >
> > I would love to see a constituency at level 3  recognised but at any lower
> > level it would need mass numbers of members to hold any authority to speak
> > on their behalf.
> >
> > Please re-word the motion such that IC is defined or referenced to a
> > previous definition. I am likely to second once done.
> >
> > Does it require:
> > * control of at least one DNS style domain name
> > * a non-transient computer  publicly connected (is not a number just another
> > name?)
> > * contribution of content (almost everybody, but there are now freeweb sites
> > poping up on freenet and there is no real physical computer that you can pin
> > down and Freenet Name Service may one day rival DNS {one can dream})
> >
> >         cya,    Andrew...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827