Re: [ga] MOTION: Request for a GA resolution on an IDN holders'constituency (IC)

Bill and all,

William S. Lovell wrote:

> All three of Eric Dierker, Leah, and Joop are making a lot of sense here.
> The distinction Eric makes between individuals who own domain names
> and those who do not is meaningful and significant.

  I would have to agree and as you know Bill this questionable distinction
has been discussed and debated a number of times as it relates to
stakeholders.

>  The constituencies
> for the two groups are at hand: Leah is right in saying that the at-large
> is the place for those who don't own domain names, and that answers
> the question I raised a few days ago about why have both an IDNO
> and an at-large.  The IDNO as promulgated by Joop is the place --
> duh! -- for "individual domain name owners," and I believe that it
> should be established as a constituency -- at long last.

  Also agree here as well.

> I regard myself as an individual -- duh! -- who has an interest in the
> broad issues of the internet, and would feel at home with others who
> are concerned with the spectre of domain name collisions and all
> that -- such events will affect people whether or not they own a
> domain name.  I also have an interest in such things as UDRP and
> WIPO, etc., as a domain name owner.

  Future domain name holders (Stakeholders all the same) may also have
interests in the UDRP and WIPO as well.  In addition many domain names
are not owned/held by a single individual but jointly held.  As such, their
interests are just as important to them and should be to the stakeholders
at large equally.

>  That is a narrower interest
> in the sense that it could affect the specific issue of my ownership
> and protection of particular domain names -- issues that would have
> no direct bearing on my use of the internet and trying to find some
> domain I heard about and all that.
>
> Nothing in the above should be taken to imply that any individual
> could not participate within both constituencies; no laws against
> that, so far as I know. Corporations would not qualify.

  What about individuals that are incorporated?  Do they also not
qualify?

> (Which raises a question: I've had the domain cerebalaw.com for
> quite a few years now, in support of my law practice as an individual.
> I'm about to enter into a Limited Liability Corporation with two other
> patent attorneys, for which we have registered the domain name
> aljpatents.com, and a lot of the stuff from the former is likely to show
> up in the latter. Does that throw me into the "corporate" category? I
> don't think so.)

  Agreed.  I don't think so either.

> Good piece of work by all three parties.
>
> Bill Lovell
>
> L Gallegos wrote:
>
> > Eric:
> >
> > IMO, the at-large is the place for non-domain name holders.  The DNSO
> > is the domain name supporting organization and it makes sense that
> > there should be an individual domain name holders constituency, if
> > there are to be constituencies at all.
> >
> > Leah
> >
> > On 7 May 2001, at 7:13, Eric Dierker wrote:
> >
> > > Now I see the reason this is a non-starter.
> > >
> > > Domain Name Holder(s) and Individual(s) are two distinct groups.  I do not
> > > own a Domain Name Hence I am an individual.  Joop owns a domain name hence,
> > > while of course he is an individual, he is a Domain Name Holder.
> > > Corporations can be Domain Name Holders but not individuals, Registrars and
> > > Registries can be holders but not individuals.  Individuals without domain
> > > names, and by shear numbers this is the vast majority of
> > > internetstakeholders, cannot and presumably do not want to be domain name
> > > holders.
> > >
> > > Believe it or not most of us net consumers want our ISPs to handle that
> > > kind of thing.  When you sign up for cable service here in California - the
> > > home of ICANN - you can get anything you want including website hosting
> > > without registering a domain name, you really just check a bunch of boxes
> > > and it is done. (and it costs about the same as premium TV service)
> > >
> > > Just like many of us with our cars, we just take them to the mechanic.
> > > Don't think for a second that that means we don't vote for and participate
> > > in law making and policy regarding our precious cars, but we leave
> > > mechanics to the mechanics.
> > >
> > > You see in my suspension I was cited for not contributing to the technical
> > > aspects of the discussion.  There is no club within ICANN I can join as an
> > > Individual who does not contribute to the technical issues.  Do not places
> > > me with you guys who just want to protect your domain names.
> > >
> > > Please review the discussions on Bill of Rights.  It is as though most just
> > > assume that the BoRs does not apply to individuals without domain names
> > > (just like woman and slaves in the U.S. prior to later sufferage)
> > >
> > > DO NOT PLACE REAL INDIVIDUALS WITHIN THE GROUP FOR DOMAIN NAME HOLDERS
> > >
> > > Sincerely,

> > --

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827