Re: [ga] Re: Suspension of Voting Rights

Chuck and all DNSO GA Participants,

  I cannot find any fault in any of your comments or statements below
as stated.  However I hope that you understand that some of the
constituency groups are in effect paying the DNSO for accreditation
so as to remain keeping their voting rights.  A better funding model
for the DNSO can be found or determined and still not push the
funding needs on the constituencies.  This I think is the primary
concern of the DNSO GA and the DNSO Constituencies.

Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Please help me understand how you could be aware of the facts and yet
> proceed to use a word like "tyranny?"  That is an emotionally charged term
> that seems to be designed to incite anger rather than understanding and
> discussion and certainly not a word that describes the action that the NC
> took.
>
> It is not at all clear that the NC action is inconsistent with ICANN bylaws
> but the Bylaws are vague enough in this regard that clarification seemed
> wise.  If it is decided that there is a conflict with the Bylaws, then I
> think the Bylaws should be changed.
>
> I would venture to say that we VeriSign was a lot better off before the
> ICANN process, but we have tried to be cooperative in that process.  So
> whether or not our benefits have exceeded the drawbacks is open to debate,
> but that is not the topic of discussion here so I will move on.
>
> It is my personal belief that DNSO independence from ICANN is extremely
> important.  I understand that the DNSO is a part of ICANN structure, but
> within that structure, DNSO independence lends much more credibility to DNSO
> recommendations.  Therefore, I believe that a self-funded DNSO is much
> better than one funded by ICANN.  Moreover, that is consistent with the
> other Supporting Organizations, both of which are self-funded.
>
> I also believe that DNSO constituencies should be able to demonstrate a
> certain amount of viability.  There are lots of ways to do this, one of
> which is the ability to generate minimal amounts of finances.  Another is to
> develop leadership that is able to organize its members to effectively
> respond to issues and to financially support the organization.  The latter
> can mean soliciting funds from charitable organizations to support their
> cause.
>
> BTW, there are lots of signs that the NCDNHC is developing that leadership
> and therefore its viability.
>
> The bottom line with regard to DNSO constituency dues is this:  the most and
> maybe the only critical value to being a member of the DNSO and the NC is
> the right to vote so the only way to effectively ensure payment of dues set
> by the whole NC is to threaten loss of the one right that people value.
> Obviously, my conclusion here is based on my assumption that DNSO funding
> should not come from ICANN, thereby making the DNSO less dependent on ICANN
> for its viability as an organization and therefore presumably more freely
> able to set its own course.
>
> The need for a professional secretariat, especially one that commits a
> serious amount of time and effort toward the development of effective
> consensus-building processes and procedures, is critical in my mind.  Every
> NC representative as well as most DNSO members are volunteers who have full
> time jobs that more than fill their time without the added responsibilities
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827