            To: <ga@dnso.org>
            Subject: [ga] CONFLICT OF INTEREST
            From: "babybows.com" <webmaster@babybows.com>
            Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:24:35 -0500
            Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

       On March 22, the Top Level Domain Association was formed (www.tlda.org).

       Preliminary participants in this association include six members of the
       Voting Registry of the GA:

       Patrick Corliss - Director
       Leah Gallegos - Director
       Miles Eugene Marsh - Chairman of the Board
       John Palmer - Secretary
       Bruce James - Initial Advisory Committee member
       Prof. A. Michael Froomkin - Initial Advisory Committee member

       A member of the Names Council, Milton Mueller, is similarly listed as an
       Initial Advisory Committee member, and assuredly other GA members will soon
       declare themselves as participants in the TLDA efforts.

       The mission statement of this association represents that it is a:
        "trade association of Internet Top Level Domain (TLD) holders. This
       organization represents the interests of TLD Holders and will seek to foster
       cooperation among TLD holders to advance the cause of building a stable,
       collision free namespace. All TLD holders are welcome to become members of
       the TLDA."

       While I loudly applaud the efforts of the alternate root community to seek
       out efforts to eliminate collisions in their own namespace, I find myself
       deeply troubled by the fact that none of these members that routinely
       participate on the GA list have commented on this development in the midst
       of this GA election cycle.

       What has happened to the concept of openness and transparency by which we
       are expected to abide?    The Bylaws of our Corporation point to the need
       for full disclosure of "conflicts of interest" by members of our Board; can
       we expect anything less from candidates to the highest office of the GA?

       Up until a few days ago, I was fully prepared to endorse Patrick Corliss for
       the Chairmanship of this Assembly.  These recent events have made me
       reconsider my position.  I respect Patrick's efforts to work in his own way
       towards achieving the goal of a stable Internet; I still believe that
       Patrick is a pioneer and visionary with a heart of gold and a passion for
       safeguarding the rights of Individuals.

       But I cannot approve of his decision to both accept a position as a Director
       of the TLDA, and to simultaneously run for the office of Chair of this
       General Assembly.

       I look forward to working with Patrick, and with the many of you that
       respect the fact that the worldwide Internet community includes the
       alternate root system - but I believe that in this instance, Patrick made an
       error in judgement... one cannot effectively serve two such disparate
       masters.

       Best regards,
       Danny Younger

       Send