[ga] Interesting Reading - Some Other Mailing List Rules

Dassa <dassa@dhs.org> wrote:
On Saturday, April 21, 2001 10:03 AM (AEST)
Subject: RE: [ga] List Monitors

> I also think it is a dangerous precedent to begin relying on the
> judgements of individuals.  We need processes that rely on the
> judgement of the group as a whole.  This is especially true when
> discussing "exceptions" to any rules and processes.

The Rules, of course, say:

> Certain persons appointed by the GA Chair (the list monitors) have the
> task of monitoring the list for posts that violate these rules.

The whole GA doesn't really want to be called upon to monitor the list on a
daily basis, that's why they have delegated responsibility.  Arbitrary
decision making is mitigated by having a panel of five list monitors.

I presume the "exception" you are referring to is my following comment:

> However, I will take this opportunity to advise all members that I will not
> participate in any adjudication by the List Monitors, or in fact any part of
> the process, in which a complaint has been lodged either by me or against
> me.

I would submit, to the list, that a person "recusing" from a decision in which
they have a conflict of interest is a standard protocol and not any form of an
"exception" to the rules.

Personally I think that the mailing list is a most difficult medium.  It may
be that we can devise a set of rules which balances a member's right to post
with other members' rights to be free of insults or abuse.  It should include
safeguards against unnecessary or repetitive postings.   Here are examples
of other mailing list rules:

Rules of the Shelby Dodge Mailing List.
http://www.sdml.org/rules.html

Eczema Mailing List - Rules and Guidelines for Posting
http://website.lineone.net/~eczema/guidelines.htm

Freelance Mailing List - List Rules
http://www.comteck.com/~tanuki/welcome.html

Militia Watchdog Mailing List
http://www.militia-watchdog.org/maillist.htm

Meroitic Mailing List and Rules
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5239/rules.html

GDP-UK & SoE-UK Mailing Lists - List Rules
http://tony.jacobs.net/dental/rules.htm

Euro-Film Mailing List - Rules And Procedures
http://members.tripod.co.uk/euro_selections/euro_film_list.htm

PShift Mailing List Rules
http://www.were.net/~pinky/maillistrules.html

Grumman-Gang Mailing List Rules
http://www.xmission.com/~markm/grumman-gang/rules.html

The Lincolnshire Genealogy Mailing List - Rules of the Mailing list
http://www.neep.demon.co.uk/lincsml/rules.html

3d-Ark Mailing List Rules
http://www.3dark.com/mailinglists/3dark/3dark_rules.html

Membership Rules for theregistry Mailing List
http://www.birthfamily.com/theregistry_rules.htm

Regards
Patrick Corliss