[ga] RE: Interesting Reading - Some Other Mailing List Rules

have the
|> > task of monitoring the list for posts that violate these rules.
|>
|> The whole GA doesn't really want to be called upon to
|> monitor the list on a
|> daily basis, that's why they have delegated
|> responsibility.  Arbitrary
|> decision making is mitigated by having a panel of five
|> list monitors.

I don't see it that way.  All participants already monitor the list on
a daily basis or as often as they feel the urge.  They already make
complaints if they do not appreciate any posts.  Nothing would change
except the abuse system would respond to the actual feelings of the
list and not to any individual or set of individuals with delegated
responsibility.  There would still be a need for List Monitors
however, they would need to supervise the automated processes and
protect against abuse of it and also to respond to individual
complaints etc.

|> I presume the "exception" you are referring to is my
|> following comment:
|>
|> > However, I will take this opportunity to advise all
|> members that I will not
|> > participate in any adjudication by the List Monitors, or
|> in fact any part of
|> > the process, in which a complaint has been lodged either
|> by me or against
|> > me.

Nope, I haven't made any comment on the above and didn't intend to.
That is standard practice and I would assume all List Monitors would
respond in a similar manner.  No the exceptions I was talking about
were where List Monitors may not apply the rules due to deciding the
poster/posting should be excempt due to some undocumented or
unapproved process/decision by them.

|> I would submit, to the list, that a person "recusing" from
|> a decision in which
|> they have a conflict of interest is a standard protocol
|> and not any form of an
|> "exception" to the rules.

I certainly agree.

|> Personally I think that the mailing list is a most
|> difficult medium.  It may
|> be that we can devise a set of rules which balances a
|> member's right to post
|> with other members' rights to be free of insults or abuse.
|>  It should include
|> safeguards against unnecessary or repetitive postings.
|> Here are examples
|> of other mailing list rules:

When you get into unnecessary postings you are venturing out onto very
thin ice.  That would be a very difficult issue to judge and is even
more reason to shift responsibility for such judgements back to the
whole list and not to delegate such decisions.  Repetitive posting
abuse handling can be automated.  Insults and abuse are very difficult
issues for any individuals to make decisions on in a multi-cultural
setting.  Another reason I would like to see a system evolve that
utilises the whole list in the process.

|> Rules of the Shelby Dodge Mailing List.
|> http://www.sdml.org/rules.html
|>
|> Eczema Mailing List - Rules and Guidelines for Posting
|> http://website.lineone.net/~eczema/guidelines.htm
|>
|> Freelance Mailing List - List Rules
|> http://www.comteck.com/~tanuki/welcome.html
|>
|> Militia Watchdog Mailing List
|> http://www.militia-watchdog.org/maillist.htm
|>
|> Meroitic Mailing List and Rules
|> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5239/rules.html
|>
|> GDP-UK & SoE-UK Mailing Lists - List Rules
|> http://tony.jacobs.net/dental/rules.htm
|>
|> Euro-Film Mailing List - Rules And Procedures
|> http://members.tripod.co.uk/euro_selections/euro_film_list.htm
|>
|> PShift Mailing List Rules
|> http://www.were.net/~pinky/maillistrules.html
|>
|> Grumman-Gang Mailing List Rules
|> http://www.xmission.com/~markm/grumman-gang/rules.html
|>
|> The Lincolnshire Genealogy Mailing List - Rules of the Mailing list
|> http://www.neep.demon.co.uk/lincsml/rules.html
|>
|> 3d-Ark Mailing List Rules
|> http://www.3dark.com/mailinglists/3dark/3dark_rules.html
|>
|> Membership Rules for theregistry Mailing List
|> http://www.birthfamily.com/theregistry_rules.htm

Thank you.  I will look these over.  I will also be preparing some
guidelines myself for submission to any working group formed to look
into this issue.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.