RE: [ga] Death Struggle in Name Space

At 00:35 16/04/01 +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

>>You are missing a connector here. If it can be shown that adding the
>>NeuStar
>>BIZ TLD will forseeably have the effect that you mention here (and that is
>>very difficult to dispute) then we can establish a causal relationship
>>between the addition of the TLD and the effect on ARNI's BIZ. Ergo, the
>>simple addition of the NeuStar BIZ TLD, in the DOC root zone, would
>>destablize ARNI's BIZ registry. Since DOC is a branch of the USG and ARNI
>>is
>>a US company engaged in a lawful business, the USG would be in violation of
>>its own Constitution. I might point out, before anyone else does, that the
>>USG is already in violation of various other parts of its own Constitution
>>[The US has been in a continuous State of Emergency since 1952, with
>>various
>>executive over-rides on parts of the US Constitution being applicable
>>(Korean War, Viet Nam, Cold War, War on Drugs, etc, old argument, we need
>>not go there)].
>

>Well, in this case, it is not even ICANN's problem.
>USG will fix it, no point to discuss it further - in particular for those
>who *did not* move to the US in 1960 ;>)

With due respect, Roberto, I do think it is *our* problem.
If *we* want to be ICANN's "bottom-up process" , then we cannot rely on the
USG to fix things, we must fix them ourselves, or at least be ready to
propose how they should be fixed.
I would like to see convincing argument that the problem is trivial and
that we are justified to ignore it. (From the legal angle, I do not think
it trivial.)
Lacking such argument,  I would re-iterate my call for a vote on having
[yes or no] a dedicated GA WG on the subject. Such a Working Group can be
anointed by the NC at a later time. We do not have to wait for that.

Danny, can you please take charge, pending your formal assumption of the
Chair?

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
the Cyberspace Association and
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
Elected representative.
http://www.idno.org