Re: [ga] Attn: GA Chairman Younger....

Alexander:

The example used by Mr. Thornton was to illustrate the technical
prohibition of having duplicate domains.  It was not a political or
"rights" statement, although that much would follow through.

Put simply, the WWW is not the only purpose or use of the DNS.  It
is a latecomer to the system, actually.  Email is one other use and
does not tolerate duplication.  Depending on what servers you point
to, whether TLD servers or root servers or SLD servers, your mail
will be routed via those servers.  It only knows to look up that
name, period.  If the server can find it, the mail will route.
Therefore, if it is not the server handling the right version of that
domain, the mail will go to the wrong person.  No duplication of
domains - no problems.  If the server doesn't know the name, it will
bounce.  Simple, but no one will get the wrong mail.

As for rights in a TLD and who got there first, it is a fact of life in
any free market.  These TLDs have been around and operational for
many years.  They could have been included for everyone years
ago.  Because ICANN/DoC have been reluctant to do so, we now
have a public that is outraged and confused.  It is not because of
the inclusive name space roots.  It is because of a small group who
believe, wrongly, that the DNS applies only to them that we will see
massive chaos.  New.net said that anyone has the right to register
in any TLD.  Not true, as will be evidenced on a huge scale if DoC
duplicates .BIZ.

Technically there must be one registry for a TLD and if there are
additional registrars they must be somehow tied into that registry.
It must be handled responsibly.  A TLD does not have to originate in
the USG root, but should be at least recongized as existing to avoid
duplication.  ARNI has worked responsibly with the Internet and its
users in mind at all times.  .BIZ was made a representative for all
TLDs by ICANN's actions in duplicating it.  It is, however, just an
example of what will come.

The email issue is just one.  Another is hostnames for servers.
Those must be unique as well and do not service just the WWW.
There are others issues that will be impacted by duplication.

It IS a single DNS - a single name space, and a serious issue.  If the
GA has not shown a consensus, perhaps it is due to a lack of
understanding of the issues.  It seems that the GA has dealt only
with the web and needs to look at the Internet.  A working group is
a beginning to gain understanding and develop a consensus, don't
you think?

Leah