Re: [ga] Attn: GA Chairman Younger....

Dear Alexander,
your honnest response calls for some information/remarks.

1. Bradley was just making a point with his example. If you want
     to use that example as a general example, it woudl be faire to
     use it in the Thomas Edisson's time context, when Telephone
     was emerging as the Internet is doing now.

2. there is an unique name space. There may be several semantics
    but the DN structure which associates the Registry (TLD),  the
    targeted site (SLD) and the hosts/application (3LD+) is unique.

    That structure was first used in 1978 for the German and Italian
    public data services to the US nets. We used then the ISO 3
    letter list and used the latin semantic (TLD first as it is named)
    without dot. The first DN registered was ITAFORDSALES and
    the second GERFORDSALES. By early 80s we intgrated the
    X121 numbering scheme in more than 40 countries (X121).
    The owner would certainly win http://sales.ford.it in an UDRP
    today.

    This name space is shared with others, hence different problems.
    The ones you know are the Phone, the Trade Marks, the EDI,
    the postal stuff. If I created a DN by your address and used it, you
    would be entitled to UDRP me. RFCs are provisionning some
    arrangements to clarify the use. Prefixes are among them:
    a phone number is a part of the name space. With http:// as
    a prefix it is a site address, with tel:// as a prefix it is a telephone
    switch board.

     GAC has said that TLD could not be trade marked, because
     (among others) it would mean that the DNs coiuld be trade
     marked twice and in diferent classes.... But IP is not TMarking.
     TM are to warranty against confusion. Name ownership comes
     from you name, your logo, your business usage.

     All this to say that the DNS is not the master of the name space.
     It is only one of its several servants. With languages, academies,
     history, WIPO, etc... And the iCANN is not the owner of the DNS,
     just one user. The USG (as the General Acountant understood it)
     is not the owner of the root (just of the a-root machine) which is
     simply the directory of the machines I use to route my calls. DNS
     improvement - according to RFCs - will soon change the legal
     vision of the system - the multi-roots as proposed a few days ago,
     the sub-root include as we develop.

3. The wording "alternative root" is totally wrong. It only describes
     a commercial operation named AlterNIC.

     There are two things:

     - the inclusive name space. Which includes (hence its name)
       all the possible names to be used on the internet.

     - the augmented root : the roots including the legacy TLDs
       (iCANN) and all the others. Probably 2000.

     What you want to refer to is the TLD industry.

     The point you defend is a  "TLD Divide" by a leader of this
      industry attempting an industry hi-jacking.

4. The name space and the TLD industries are not Far West
     where an independent large cattle owner could do what he
     wants. There is law and order there too.

     The iCANN has been set up by the USG to serve that
      industry. It independently and against its charter decided
      to run it. This has to be corrected. To everyone benefit.
      Let assume you leaved in Eastern Gemany and had to use
      only the Trabant cars. You would have been happy if they
      had some competition: event without changing your car
      maker you would have seen improvements in the car. (I
      accept that Germany has reunited and that cars are far
      better for everyone now)

     BTW why does iCANN behave as it does? Prfobably because
     the name space is shared with TMs and that Staff tries to give
     stability to TM rather than to DN owners. This is a mistake as
     they are here to represent DN owners (at he end of the day
     Joop will win and iCANN will have to take care of DN holders :-) )

Jefsey