Re: [ga] Collisions in RFC 1535 space

Patrick and all remaining assembly members,

  Interesting.  I agree with the proposed prohibition of these
types of DN's.  However I wonder if this prohibition applies to
say (comnet..au or comnet.net.au) as well, just as an example....

Patrick Corliss wrote:

> THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL OPINION - NOT INTENDED TO REPRESENT
> THE OFFICIAL POSITION OF TLDA, auDA, ICANN OR ANY OTHER BODY
>
> On Thursday, April 12, 2001 3:53 PM (AEST)
> Andrew McMeikan <andrew.mcmeikan@mitswa.com.au> wrote:
> Subject: [ga] Collisions in .au Trademark space
>
> > The auDA report is in and available from http://www.auda.org.au/
> I think more properly the Names Panel report to auDA.
>
> One bit that might interest the techos out there is the following
> recommendation:
>
> "Domain names that match TLDs are not allowed.
>
> The Panel notes RFC 1535, which points out that domain names with two alpha
> characters (eg. au.com.au) could 'trick' some types of client software, thereby
> giving rise to possible security problems where the domain name is the same as a
> ccTLD.  Potentially, a domain name that is the same as a gTLD (eg. com.net.au)
> could be misused in the same manner.  The Panel therefore recommends a
> prohibition on domain names that match TLDs.
>
> The Panel suggests that domain name licence applicants should be advised that if
> they license a domain name that is subsequently allocated as a TLD, then the
> licence may be revoked."
>
> Regards
> Patrick Corliss
> Member, auDA Board
> (speaking as an individual)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827