[ga] vote appeal

On Thursday, April 12, 2001 10:15 AM (AEST)
Eric Dierker <ERIC@hi-tek.com> wrote:
Subject: [ga] vote appeal

Dear Eric

> And I think Mr. Corliss had all 10 of his lined up when that was announced.
> hmm.

Examination of the endorsements shows that everybody who endorsed you endorsed
me also except Jeffrey Williams (who had his own reasons) and Sotiris
Sotiropoulos (who's your friend).

The five people who endorsed both of us (Marilyn Cade, Roberto Gaetano, Eric
Weisberg, Alexander Svensson and Elisabeth Porteneuve) were all clearly acting
impartially to ensure a proper vote.  It is unfair to their honour to suggest
they were in any way "lined up".

To balance your friend, Sotiris, I had my friend Marc Schneiders.

In fact, one of my endorsements was you, Eric Dierker so that's a nonsense.
Another was myself.  I do not know Ken Stoen so he was quite independent.
Thanks, Ken!

That's 9 already (including you and me) !!!

Harald Tveit Alvestrand, the co-Chair, clearly made his choice based on his
judgment of who was the better candidate as did Roeland Meyer, Kristy McKee and
Peter de Blanc.  I met Mr de Blanc for the first time in Melbourne a few weeks
ago.  None of these people are associated in any way with the TLDA.  I have
corresponded with all of them privately on matters of interest.

That's 13 endorsements all of whom are unquestionably independent.

Four persons are associated, in some way with the TLDA.  They are Gene Marsh,
Leah Gallegos, John Palmer and Bruce James (who has since resigned from the
advisory committee).  Jefsey Morfin, who is associated with alternate roots, is
well-known to most members of this forum.

Even excluding anyone associated in any way with the TLDA or alternative roots
generally (particularly those named in the above paragraph) the endorsements I
received numbered well in excess of the 10 suggested as being a requirement.

All of those who endorsed me are honest, hard-working and honourable.  They are
also reputable and long-standing members of the General Assembly.  There was no
stacking of the endorsement process.  There were also 102 members who voted.

I would add that first heard about the requirement for 10 endorsements at the
same time as everybody else as can be seen by the fact that I only had two or
three at the time of the co-Chair's announcement.  That's what caused people to
endorse more of the candidates - a simple reaction to the announcement.

In fact, under the rules, members are entitled to endorse anyone they see fit.
I thank everyone who endorsed you, me or any other candidate for their support
of proper and respected DNSO processes.

> Which shows the committe knew that they would change the outcome of the
> election if they changed the rules, allowing for revoting.

Of the watchdog committee, Roberto Gaetano and Alexander Svensson endorsed both
of us (so no favouritism there). I don't know Dany Vandromme or Izumi Aizu.
Harald Alvestrand did endorse me and not you but his judgement and his integrity
are both unquestioned.

The last person on the watchdog committee, Kent Crispin has a great deal of
experience in conducting elections and other ICANN processes.  Whilst I have
disagreed with him onlist on many occasions, I respect his sincerity.  I cannot
see any bias in my favour here either.

I would add that the whole argument is a furphy as you were included as a
candidate in the voting and could easily have gained sufficient votes to become
Chair or co-Chair.  Allowing a second ballot paper could equally have favoured
you, me or Danny Younger.

Everyone knows the watchdog committee had to resolve the issue of Jonathan
Weinberg's withdrawal.  That's not the problem.  The real question is Was the
election process fair to all candidates?  Sure it was.  And as Joanna Lane
points out, we can tighten up the procedures to allow for previously unforeseen
events in future elections.

Unforeseen events are, by definition, unforeseen.  There'll be more of them !!!

The reason that Danny Younger won was because of his demonstrated capacity to
further the process.  I truly respect that result and will support his tenure as
Chair.  You did not place because of your demonstrated lack of maturity.

This was shown by your excessive posting of what can only be described as
"rants" during the actual election.  You show it again by making unsupported and
unfounded allegations against (a) the endorsers and (b) the watchdog committee
and (c) me personally.  Your claims are easily disproved (see above rebuttal).

If you wish to appeal against the process, that is your choice but I'm certain
that many people on this list find your accusatory approach quite misguided.

Sincerely
Patrick Corliss

http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2001.DNSO-GAchair.html

Endorsement of candidates for election to the Chair of the General Assembly:
(date of reception at the dnso.org, CET)

2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Marilyn Cade
2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Roberto Gaetano
2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Eric Weisberg
2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Alexander Svensson
2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Jeffrey A. Williams
2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Elisabeth Porteneuve
2001/03/30 Eric Hugh Dierker, endorsement by Sotiris Sotiropoulos
Endorsement of candidates for election to the Chair of the General Assembly:
(date of reception at the dnso.org, CET)

2001/03/23 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Marc Schneiders
2001/03/26 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Bruce James
2001/03/29 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Kristy McKee
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Eric Dierker
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Leah Gallegos
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Patrick Corliss
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Gene Marsh
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Ken Stoen
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Harald Tveit Alvestrand
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Jean-François C. Morfin
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Peter de Blanc
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Alexander Svensson
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Marilyn Cade
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Roberto Gaetano
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Eric Weisberg
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Roeland M.J. Meyer
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by John Palmer
2001/03/30 Patrick Corliss, endorsement by Elisabeth Porteneuve