RE: [ga] collisions in namespace (was gTLD Constituency)

Once more, you don't get it. ICANN is tasked with maintaining the
stability of the internet.  Cooperating with the Internet community
to strive toward a unified name space (not namespaces) fall within
that role.  You seem to foster the notion that the Internet is made
up of fragmented name spaces which is not the case.  It is a
network of networks, all using the same DNS.  Any body that
refuses to acknowledge this is not working to maintain the stability
of the net.  It is working to further fragment it.

You used the word namespaces - plural.  The  DNS is the DNS is the
DNS is the DNS.  It is a single name space that can be easily
fragmented by ICANN setting a precedent to do so.

I see no reason for ICANN to be any different from any other root in
seeking to provide a collision free name space in cooperation with all
TLD holders.  Nothing is perfect, but deliberately ignoring the issue
is counter productive, to say the least.

Isolationism doesn't work.  It breeds discontent, frustration, distrust
and even anger.  Many entities and countries are not content with
ICANN's actions to protect a small segment of the Internet
community.  This is not good for the net.

The simple fact that ICANN believes as you espouse is a hurdle that
must be overcome.  No one asked for business to crop up as a
result of the railroad either.  However, the railroad had to cooperate
with the towns and businesses that grew up around it.  It had to
stop at intersections within those towns, respect people and laws
and certainly had to recognize that civilization was there in formerly
desolate areas.  Had it not done so, there would have been chaos
all along the rail lines.  Other rail companies grew as well and had to
be recognized.  The major difference is that with the Internet, there
are no static rail tracks.  It is free form - a good thing.

In every industry, there are businesses that come into being and
grow along side the originators of that industry.  They either
cooperate with the innovation and creation within the industry, or
they end up going away.

In this case, ICANN was created at the direction of the US
Government under contract and oversight of the US Government.
They have an agreement to perform in a certain manner.  They
have broken that agreement in many ways.  In the case of the new
TLDs, they will have broken two very important clauses of that
agreement:  not harming entities or classes of entities and
maintaining the stability of the Internet.  It would not have been
difficult to fulfill the agreement by acknowledging that others exist
and not trampling upon them.  ICANN's statements simply indicate
an unwillingness to do so.  They prefer, instead, to use the familiar
mantra that they are responsible for only "their" root rather than
THE namespace.  There may just be a train wreck.

I DO expect ICANN to cooperate with other stewards of TLDs, for
the good of the Internet.  As this issue comes to the foreground,
we are hearing from those who are beginning to understand it and
who agree that ICANN is not an island unto itself, but that it has a
responsibility to the entire Internet and not just its own isolationist
existence.

There is nothing to prevent any and all TLD holders and roots from
acting independently.  Cooperation does not preclude independence.

Regards,

Leah