RE: [ga] collisions in namespace (was gTLD Constituency)

This will be my last post in this thread, as it seems to be going
nowhere.

It appears that the basic argument is the same one that ICANN
uses.  They are responsible for only "their root" and all others can
do as they please.  The fallacy here is due to the fact that there is
a singular name space which makes the technical argument one of
fragmentation of that name space.  Once ICANN divides it with a
collider, it is a done deal.  Then it's a free-for-all.  Technically,
there cannot be duplicates of any dn at any level in the tree.  Since
the goal should be that anyone can point to any root and not have
to wonder which version of a domain they will see, and that ICANN
is tasked with maintaining that stability, their deliberate entry of a
collider defeats that task or mandate.

I will agree that one can make a choice to point to any root or TLD
they choose, but if the goal is a unified name space, ICANN is about
to defeat that in a big way.

As for multiple .com's or any other TLD, it doesn't take VC to
accomplish it.  I takes as much money and effort as it does to set
up any TLD.  I'd bet that if someone does it (perhaps outside the
US), it will become populated simply because it's there.  I would go
a bit further and bet that it would be VERY popular and there would
be no end to problems in the legal arena among registrants,
businesses, even to the point of disrupting the global economy.
Just take an ICANN/new.net approach to it and you have a mess.

The intent behind the DNS was to make the net singular and unified.
 If this is defeated by blatant ignorance of the existence of the
purpose of the DNS, we do have a problem, Houston.

As for upgrading DNS settings, it is not, IMO misleading to suggest
that moving from a deprecated legacy version of a rootzone or any
other outdated root is an upgrade.   ICANN's root is exclusive.  I
choose to upgrade to an inclusive one (there are more than one).

Years ago, there were several versions of word processing
software, but two were the most used.  I upgraded from WordStar
to WordPerfect because it offered more features and was easier to
use.  WordStar was still there, of course, for a while anyway.
However, there was a gradual move toward WordPerfect until
WordStar just faded away.  They never did get away from their
legacy base enough to keep the public happy.  It was an upgrade
to a more useful piece of software, although both were written for
the same purpose and worked on the same platforms.

The DoC rootzone is maintained in its legacy state because
ICANN/DoC is reluctant to provide what the public wants - an
abundance of TLDs.  There is a gradual movement toward other
roots as a result.  Upgrading to a more modern version of a
rootzone that offers more to the public is a natural progression.
The task at hand for those roots, IMO, is to continue to work
toward a non-colliding situation, regardless of how many TLDs are
carried.  None should collide in the end.  Carrying a subset is fine.

There may be an upgrade available for BIND users as well -
MultiBind.  This could be a very interesting turn.  Would you say
that it would not be an upgrade?  I would most assuredly call it an
upgrade.  If you choose to take your PC into the service center to
switch to a larger hard drive, is that an upgrade?  Yes.  It's the
same platform, larger capacity.

The present situation is exacerbated by the ICANN decision to
duplicate the .BIZ TLD.  That sent a message to the community
saying it's okay because their's is a separate name space.  As a
result, companies like New.net pop up with colliders, making the
efforts of the other roots to eliminate colliders rather more difficult,
if not moot.  Name.space did much the same thing by allowing TLDs
to be randomly added without regard to existing TLDs.  It also uses
a 4LD (adding .xs2.net to a domain name) to allow resolution for
those who don't point to specific servers.  It's a totally different
model from all other roots.  Perhaps that is where all of this will go
now that ICANN has set that precedent.  I hope not, but time will
tell.

OTOH, if DoC chooses the path that preserves the name space and
avoids a duplication/collision, then a different message will have
been sent and the community can continue to work toward that
goal.  Having the largest market share infers a great responsibility
to the pubilc.  They can either stabilize or fragment the Internet as
we know it.

Of course, the simplest solution is for DoC to include all TLDs, as
the inclusive roots do.  It's not difficult to do.  Then the multiple
root system would be what it is meant to be - a distributed system
of roots, carrying the same TLDs or subsets of those TLDs.  It
would balance the load and provide that much more stability.  And
ISP in Australia could use a local server instead of one in Asia.  It is
technically sound.  Based on statements coming from ICANN, I
doubt we'll see this any time soon.  The special interests will not
allow it.

Regards,

Leah