Re: [ga] vote appeal

Hello Jonathan,

This is the first election I have participated in where I was allowed to
change my mind and vote again having already cast my vote. Not only that,
there was no limit to the number of ballots I could send, for only the LAST
one counted. Please point me to the relevant section in the rules agreed by
a vote of the GA that confirms the procedure that took place.

Clearly, the watchdog committe made it up as they went along. That may have
been the best possible solution in the circumstances, and if anything, Eric
would have gained more votes from the second ballot cast after one candidate
dropped out.  Nevertheless, the second ballot was an invention of the
Watchdog committee, which was not elected by the GA, but was a group of
people selected behind closed doors.

The rules clearly say *one* ballot. One cannot fault the DNSO Secretariat,
nobody claimed they had not received a ballot, or denied an opportunity to
vote. Nevertheless, new ballots were sent simply because some members had
decided to throw away three of the four votes allowed in the first round. If
those who voted only for you in the first round, had instead, identified
their order of preference for all 4 candidates, as would have been sensible,
then there would have been no reason to send a second ballot.

Even if you had not withdrawn, any one of the candidates could have been hit
by a bus and members who had failed to consider that possibility when
casting their first vote had only themselves to blame. This second ballot
was an "oops ballot".

If the candidate that lost is now crying foul, it is hardly suprising. I'm
not meaning to say that Eric is acting wisely in what he is doing, but I am
meaning to say that rules should now be revisited and redrafted to reflect
agreement by the GA as a whole - to incorporate whatever procedures may be
neccessary, to avoid a repeat of the situation where a self-appointed group
of watchdogs creatively interpret existing rules to fit unforeseen
circumstances.

This should not be too difficult. Election rules are hardly new territory.
Every democracy in the world has them.

Joanna