Re[2]: [ga] Critics say VeriSign still has...

Hello Patrick,

Tuesday, April 10, 2001, 6:21:24 PM, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 gavin.stokes@autodesk.com wrote:

>> > That makes absolutely no sense at all.  You assume that this move
>> > would be positive, but in fact, one of the key components in a healthy
>> > environment for an industry is the existence of such speculative
>> > efforts.
>>
>> Hm.  Why don't you tell us how these "speculative efforts" are helping this
>> "industry".

> Perhaps because they generate revenue for the industry. What economic
> incentives could you point to that are gained from the prevention of
> speculation?

> Why is speculation in real estate a long-practiced tradition and
> considered "good business" while people are trying to cast domain
> speculation as "bad?"

Probably because he works for a company that has felt some obligation
to own corresponding domain names for every single term and word they
use in business, and since they were not the first to think of the
domain name using those words, have had to purchase those domains at a
premium.

Nearly every time I hear someone make this argument, the above
paragraph usually ends up being an accurate description of their
experience.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com