Re: [ga] Critics say VeriSign still has...

Sandy,

I've always said that the only real difference between a TLD and an
SLD is the responsibility at the top level.  As far as I am concerned,
being assured that the technical operational reliability is what ICANN
should be concerned with and not the business model and certainly
not the mnemonics of it.  Along with that technical operational
reliability comes the financial capability of performance.  However,
even that is not too much of a concern.  If a registry can set it up,
they have the means to do it.

For that matter, in a free market, businesses do fail.  It should not
be up to ICANN to ensure the financial success or failure of a
registry.  The only contingency should be a portable database that
can be used by an interim manager in case of failure and enough
notice to be able to transport it.

I truly believe that if DoC had risen off its collective rear and added
TLDs years ago, we would not have had a fraction of the
controversy we see now.  It's just ridiculous.

Leah