Re: [ga] gTLD Constituency

At 10:07 PM 4/9/2001, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>Dave Said...
> > Well, let's see.  Your underlying philosophy appears to be that each and
> > every constituency needs to have balancing forces.
>
>Nope. That's not it at all. Simply that this constituency needs to be
>comprised
>of all gTLD registries, both applicant, accepted, and operational (or any
>combination of the three).

Glad to clarify that.

Let's be clear, however, that merely making an application does not mean
that the applicant has any experience as a registry.  Some do, some
don't.  So calling an applicant a registry, just because they have made an
application is really identical to calling someone a citizen just because
they applied for citizenship.

Ultimately, however, your model means that anyone with a lot of money can
buy membership in this constituency.

> > Do you believe that anyone who has applied for US citizenship should be
> > entitled to vote in US elections?
>
>Again, you're diverting the issue. This analogy has nothing to do with the
>case at hand.

It is structurally identical to your recommendation, but applied to another
context so that the implication is highlighted.

If I tried to claim that applying for a driving license means that you
should be allowed to drive, THAT would be invalid, because the permitted
activity is not "structurally" the same as in your model.

While I'm sorry it makes you uncomfortable, it is a a very run-of-the-mill
method of trying to show weaknesses in logic.

d/

ps.  For all your preference in ad hominems, Chris, I notice the you
ignored my observation that my position on where to draw the membership
line is not consistent with what you would expect to be my client's
preference.  Oops.