Re: [ga] gTLD Constituency

         In general, it's desirable that ICANN's structures be more nearly
pro-competitive rather than anti-competitive.  Bret has suggested that a
full, three-member gTLD constituency consisting only of incumbent
registries will add an anticompetitive element to the ICANN structure,
because incumbent registries will have an interest in opposing the addition
of new entramts into their market -- and that a constituency that also
included registry applicants would be more balanced.  Kent's answer, as
best I understand it, is [1] an existing registry would favor the addition
of a new TLD if it were proposing to operate that new TLD itself (but for
the foreseeable future, there is *no* reason to believe ICANN will depart
from its one-to-a-customer policy); [2] an existing registry might favor
the addition of a particular new TLD where it believed that the applicant
was undercapitalized and that it would later be able to, and would get
ICANN permission to, purchase that newcomer (surely a longshot plan for the
incumbent); and [3] anyway, it could be worse -- after all, if the gTLD
constituency had more votes, the resulting structure would be even *more*
anticompetitive.

         It doesn't seem to me that this response undercuts Bret's point at
all.

Jon