RE: [ga] ICANN benefits

At 06:14 PM 4/6/2001, Russ Smith wrote:
> >Second, Whois was broken before that, by the RIRs.  Nothing to do with NSI
> >or ICANN.
>
>Many users see the WHOIS management as something that should be a high
>priority for ICANN who is the manager of the shared registry system.

It IS a high priority for ICANN, yet they have caught huge flack for trying
to attend to it.

More importantly, ICANN cannot fix technical limitations.  That is the work
of the IETF, which unfortunately has stalled on this issue twice.

>  ICANN has taken a long time to look at the privacy and standardization
> issues while going full steam ahead with issues that are seen to be well
> beyond their mandate.

ICANN has attended only to its mandate, contrary to the many efforts to get
it to do otherwise, or characterize its goals as otherwise.

Now, we could get into a yes-they-did/no-they-didn't exchange.  THat would
not be very productive, would it.  Consequently it would be better not to
put forward such bald generalizations, thereby inviting equally bald responses.

>Good or bad, ICANN has been in place long enough where they have full
>responsibility for the WHOIS system for .com, .net and .org.

Let's see.  You think that less that 2 years is enough time to "fix"
substantial, global infrastructure problems, particularly when ICANN has no
control over the technical standards?  How unfortunate.

d/