RE: [ga] serious participation in ICANN processes

>Once upon a time there was a company that had the complete monopoly
>over the
>generic TLDs, as Registry and as Registrar ;>).
>It seems ages, but it was just a couple of years ago when five new
>Registrars were allowed to compete with NSi at the Registrar level,
>and just
>few months ago the basis for the introduction of new generic TLDs has been
>put.

Hi Roberto,

Registrar competition was put in place by the US Department of Commerce.
According to ICANN's general counsel Loius Touton, ICANN is not responsible
for any events prior to November 1999 when ICANN was officially put in place
(http://www.icann.org/nsi/coopagmt-amend19-04nov99.htm).

Mr. Touton told me that ICANN would not take any responsibility for
assisting in clearing up the incident with Races.com
(http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,32974,00.html) because it
happened prior to ICANN's existence.

I do not remember the exact date the shared registry system went into place
but the amendment to the NSI cooperative agreement was in April 1999,
several months before ICANN officially existed
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/amendment13.htm.

I guess you can say that some of the people who eventually formed ICANN were
involved in registrar competition but, according to ICANN's general counsel,
ICANN is not responsible for those events which took place prior to November
1999 even though Vint Cerf and ICANN made this claim in recent congressional
testimonies.

To summarize, that one doesn't count.

Russ Smith
http://consumer.net