Re: Re[2]: [ga] withdrawal of candidacy

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote on 03.04.01, 22:48:44:
> well, there are 2 reasonable choices:

> - Run the vote as scheduled, note that (if the resignee is a winner) either
> the chair or the co-chair has resigned, raise the co-chair to chair if the
> chair was the resignee, and call a new election for co-chair
>
> - Before the first round of counting, eliminate all resigned candidates
>
> I know positively that I did not think of this when writing the rules;
> there is nothing to cover resignation of a candidate after accepting.
> So by the default of "run the rules as written", the first option wins.
>
> Thoughts?

Problem:
To fill out the ballot, you are not required to rank all
candidates, you may also rank one or two of them.
(cf. http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/2001.GA-chair-election-rules-v0.2.html)

If you have just cast a vote for a candidate which now
resigns and not for any other ones, your vote is wasted.

If you have cast a vote for a resigned candidate and
one for another, your vote for co-chair is wasted.

I would therefore ask whether it is technically possible
and wise to give everyone the opportunity to resend their
vote. (I already see the difficulty that there may
be people who have already deleted both the mail they
received from gavote and the one they sent.)

Best regards,
/// Alexander