Re: [ga] serious participation in ICANN processes

At 04:40 PM 4/2/2001, Eric Dierker wrote:
>Dave Crocker wrote:
> > These two items demonstrate the pervasive tendency to debate about
> > theoretical issues that have no factual basis in ICANN legal documents.
> >
> > As people claim to be serious participants, they should consider the
> > responsibility that participation carries, to be adequately educated about
> > the relevant fact, not theory.
>
>Generally speaking, your two last comments here are not only misguided but
>wrong.  Policy is about theory.

ICANN policy needs to pertain to practise, not abstract theory.

>The only factual basis that comes from  "legal
>documents" (I suppose you mean this as documents which are not illegal)

This suggests that you are not aware of the difference between legal
documents and other types of documents, which carry no contractual, or the
like, force.

>is the fact that the document exists.  A document does not create a fact.

Congratulations.  You've now stepped off into lands beyond comprehension.

Whatever it is you are trying to say and however it might be relevant to
ICANN, the meaning escapes.

>As people claim to be serious participants, they should be made aware that
>just because an oldtimer says something does not make it so.  The GA needs to
>be more interested in what interested participants have to say and less on
>historical facts which impede progress.  The GA is not to be dominated by,
>technocrats, bureaucrats, businessmen, lawyers or lobbyists.  It is a General
>Assembly not any particular groups Assembly.

Well, I do thank you for making it clear that you view the ICANN
environment as a sandbox for children, rather than as a serious forum for
community pursuit of practical matters.

Thank you for playing.

d/