Re: [ga] Re: Last minute changes to Verisign agreements

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 09:37:52AM -0400, Sandy Harris wrote:
> Dave Crocker wrote:
>
>>At 10:23 PM 4/1/2001, DPF wrote:
>>>The changes to the agreement are welcome but it would be a terrible
>>>public policy example to agree to such changes with less than 24 hours
>>>to consider and analyse them.
>>
>>Given that the changes are directly in line with the public requests, what
>>is the purpose of additional delay?
>
> Good point.
>
>>Remember that our job is not to negotiate the contract but to offer comments.
>
> No. The DNSO's job is to develop policy, which the board and staff are then
> responsible for implementing.

Dave is talking about the concrete "now"; you are talking in the
abstract; no intrinsic conflict exists between them.

>As long as the negotiations conform to the policy, we have no more to do than
>offer comment. Perhaps not even that. Arguably, we should just shut up and let
>them get on with the job.
>
>Here, though, the negotiated deal violates policy by scrapping the separation
>of registry and registrar.

1) There is no such policy.

2) It does not scrap the separation of registry and registrar.  It
specifies the type of separation.

>I do not think board and staff have the authority
>to do that without DNSO approval.

In fact, the board has the legal, moral, and and ethical DUTY to act
without DNSO approval, if they find it is in the best interests of the
Internet.  This is clearly spelled out in the Bylaws.

Indeed, there are few controls over a "Rogue Board" -- if the Board as a
whole decides that it wants to turn the assets of the corporation to another
non-profit, it could do that, for example.

But there are few controls over a "Rogue DNSO", either.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be