Re: [ga] Campaigning for Position of GA Chair

Hello Patrick,

Saturday, March 31, 2001, 1:35:15 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
> You've said you favour Jonathan Weinberg and I have no problem with that.
> I was taken to task for NOT disclosing my interests but when I did you suggest
> I'm incapable of developing consensus.

I suggested no such thing.  I suggested that a candidate who is
campaigning because of his positions isn't necessarily the best
candidate, that instead we need one that will bring us to consensus,
and advocate that consensus, and do those things despite his
positions.

> Now you say I'm unsuitable because
> I'm campaigning.

My general feeling is that if one feels a need to campaign for the
position, that candidate is probably not one I would consider.

This isn't like an ICANN board seat, where you are electing someone
BECAUSE of their views, this position is not something someone is
elected to for their views, but for their abilities.

> You also suggested earlier that I was "disingenuous".

I said that claiming that the TLDA was not about the alternative roots
and TLDs was disingenuous.

> It is my nature to seek consensus and that's why I'm proposing peace between
> ICANN and the alternative community.

That is not a job of the GA Chair.

> It's also why I'm proposing a peaceful
> resolution of colliding TLDs.

That is not a job of the GA Chair.

> It's because I'm in favour of democracy,
> participation and more that I am proposing a fairer constituency structure.

That is not a job of the GA Chair.

> I don't expect the GA to require me to act in an unsuitable way.  But please
> don't campaign on behalf of Jonathan Weinberg and tell me not to campaign on
> behalf of myself.   Perhaps you could let Jonathan speak for himself.

As I said, if you feel the need to campaign, that is significant.  The
fact that others are not only willing, but eager, to speak in favor of
a candidate, is significant as well.

I've not done anything for Jonathan not to speak.  I'm merely
presenting my own views and opinions.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com