[ga] Campaigning for Position of GA Chair

On Saturday, March 31, 2001 5:23 PM (AEST), William X. Walsh wrote:
Subject: Re[2]: [ga] Top Level Domain Association - NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST

> A GA Chair who holds too strong an opinion on any particular
> controversial issues, such as alternative roots or TLDs, would not be
> a suitable GA Chair if they are not able to completely and totally
> separate themselves from that, and be willing to advocate on behalf of
> the GA and the consensus developed by the GA, even if that consensus
> is contrary to what their own position on that issue, and even if that
> consensus would be harmful to their position.

On Sunday, April 01, 2001 4:38 AM (AEST), William X. Walsh wrote:
Subject: Re[2]: Function and quality of GA Chair- (was RE: Re[2]: [ga] Top Level
Domain Association - NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST)

> Yes, personally, I feel any candidate that feels a need to "campaign"
> for the position is probably not the kind of candidate needed for that
> position.

Hi William

You've said you favour Jonathan Weinberg and I have no problem with that.
I was taken to task for NOT disclosing my interests but when I did you suggest
I'm incapable of developing consensus.  Now you say I'm unsuitable because
I'm campaigning.   You also suggested earlier that I was "disingenuous".

The truth is that you've known me on these lists for a long time.  Anyone can
have a look at the archives of at least six lists -- including this one -- to
see my postings for at least a year.  I have not been on this list for some
time.  Actually Iquit in September returned in November and quit again.  Others
on this list might not know me that well.  Roberto and Harald both should.

You know as well as I do that a person cannot come to a task without some
baggage.  You also know that I have experience and a bit of wisdom.  My postings
are almost always restrained and I am, like you, experienced on the lists.

It is my nature to seek consensus and that's why I'm proposing peace between
ICANN and the alternative community.  It's also why I'm proposing a peaceful
resolution of colliding TLDs.  It's because I'm in favour of democracy,
participation and more that I am proposing a fairer constituency structure.

And it's because I'm in favour of peace and harmony that I would see the rules
of order maintained on the GA list.  This, as you know, is an ongoing problem.

I'm in favour of anything which builds a better online environment.  To imply
that this somehow makes me an unsuitable candidate is very cheeky.

I don't expect the GA to require me to act in an unsuitable way.  But please
don't campaign on behalf of Jonathan Weinberg and tell me not to campaign on
behalf of myself.   Perhaps you could let Jonathan speak for himself.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss