Re: [ga] Request to the GA Chair for a Ballot

Can somebody explain me where the problem is?
This is my POV.

1. We have 4 candidates that are all four eligible under our currently
adopted rules to be included in the ballot to be issued by the Secretariat
on 2001-03-31 (and this solves Joop's concern, as he expressed it below).
2. The NC has *its* procedures, never changed AFAIK, that include the "rule
of ten" (as part of the 1999 rules): these are not GA rules, but NC rules,
and as correctly pointed out by Joanna, NC should change them (if they
wish), not us.
3. The NC has expressed its willingness to ratify the choice of the GA,
therefore to appoint the candidate with more votes: it may do so even if the
candidate has not received 10+ endorsments in the endorsment phase (but it
may be source of embarassment).

I interpreted Harald's message in this way: please guarantee that every
candidate fulfills *also* the 1999 requirements, so that we can avoid
discussions, and we can avoid potential opposition by any individual member
of the NC, that may raise formal objections.
I may incidentally note that the number of bytes needed to flow in the Net
to provide the missing endorsement to the candidates that still did not pass
the 10 cap is substantially lower than the number of bytes flowing in this
argumentation.

In any case, I believe that a motion of the GA on this subject is out of
order for the following reasons:
- it changes the rules of the election while the election is ongoing;
- the motion presented aims at putting to vote a subject that has been
discussed for not even 24 hours.

As I noted above, even if I accepted this motion, and the GA approved this
motion, this would only mean to be a recommandation to the NC, who could
still be free to accept it or to reject it.
In the meantime, rest assured that I will pass the official results of the
GA election process to the NC without application of the "rule of 10". We
will elect the candidate(s) according to our rules, and let's the NC take
its decision according to its rules.

Regards
Roberto