Re: [ga] ICANN-site FAQ on the existing Verisign agreement

Dear Joop,
You are right. And I do not see any real difference between
both plans IRT most of the legal tricks which may be plaid.

On 10:32 22/03/01, Joop Teernstra said:
>Perhaps you may have seen how ICANN is helpful in providing answers to
>FAQ's re the status-quo agreement with NSI.
>http://www.icann.org/melbourne/info-verisign-revisions.htm
>
>It amazes me how many loopholes the staff have now identified in the
>existing agreement.
>
>Clearly someone may have indicated to ICANN that  when it comes again to a
>court challenge, it may be better off with Plan B.
>
>I am not so sure. The spirit of the agreement to separate registry and
>registrar business should be enforceable, even if the agreement is not
>watertight.

The more I consider the issue, the more I see that THE loophole
is the iCANN itself which wants to enforce a legacy registry model.

Whatever the Plan we are all supposed to agree that competition is
about reducing the VeriSign influence. As long as VeriSign manages
".com" the way it is, this is not feasible. So the alternative is simple:

- either the legacy model is the target and VeriSign as the leading
   registry is the business leader/monopoly for ever
- or the current legacy model is [partly] abandonned for a "million
   TLD" type model (cf. BoD at GAC meeting) and new leaders in new
   forms of TLD will appear. We will probably not have competition
   between TLDs as foreseen by the iCANN but competition between
   TLD models.

Let assume that the Plan B is retained. Then ".org" is to be managed
by a non-profit organization. I propose in the best interest of the small
and individual DN holders to create an org owners associative action,
using Marc's site as a start  ( http://disgrace.org/)  and to apply for the
management of ".org".  This way IDNHolders would own their own TLD
as do the Members of he CINICS in the inclusive root.

May be a crusade you and many other would like to join?
For the time being I think Marc's action is to be supported.

Jefsey