Re[2]: [ga] Verisign Poll up in the Booth

Hello Joop,

Monday, March 19, 2001, 2:16:08 PM, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 12:50 19/03/01 -0500, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
>>         A point of clarification, fwiw:
>>
>>         Though the text of the two options on Joop's voting page is mine,
>>I didn't propose that those be the two choices available in a vote.  The
>>point of my message, a couple of days ago, was that the exchanges on the
>>list had *already* taught us the information that a straw poll would
>>generate: that maybe the list would reach consensus and maybe it would not,
>>but that if it did it would be around "option 1."

> Jon and all,

> I understand the point, but the problem with a straw poll is that once a
> consensus is apparent, other posters (I'm thinking of James Seng's valuable
> posting) may not exactly be encouraged to post contrary opinions.
> This is what an anonymous poll is for.

I don't know that the GA has seen that type of behavior, really.  If
anything just the opposite.  The appearance of a developing consensus
on something tends to draw out the opposition a little more than
normal.

The IP constituency is usually a good example of this.  When they see
something not going their way, they tend to try and rally their people
to get involved and speak loudly.

The lack of that here makes me think that they are not that keen on
the new contract either.

Does anyone with some actual knowledge of any discussion amongst them
have a more legitimate measure of their position on this issue?  It's
odd to see none of them weighing in on this, except for Marilyn, who
is good about keeping active on issues she both agrees and disagrees
with, and is the exception to the "typical" "IP" type GA Participant.

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com