[ga-full] Re: [ga] Swedish gov interferes

David and all assembly members,

  It is plainly evident that WXW is again brown nosing ICANN here.

  As you and many of us know the ICANN GAC has on several occasions
been for some time now trying to brow beat other governments in
hopes of getting them to submit to their will or desire's.

  My guess is that with Sweden in particular, ICANN is particularly
concerned as one of the Root servers is within their control presently.

DPF wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 20:53:24 -0800 (PST), William X. Walsh wrote:
>
> >Under what authority does the Swedish government propose to implement these
> >policies?  The .SE top level domain does not appear to be delegated to them,
> >and I see no real basis for the registry to feel mandated to implement any such
> >dictates of the Swedish government.
>
> This ignores the reality of sovereign governments.
>
> The Government can through Parliament pass legislation which is
> binding on the *.se registry as its is (presumably) based in Sweden.
>
> Any number of Government agencies can possibly pass and enforce
> regulations under delegated authority.
>
> The fact a registry has a contract with ICANN/IANA does not make it
> exempt to local territorial laws.
>
> Using my own local example if the NZ Parliament passed a law saying
> *.nz domain fees shall be $15 (instead of $50+ at moment) then that is
> what ISOCNZ would have to ensure they are charged at.
>
> If the Department of Internal Affairs said that you can not allow the
> word "pedophilia" to be used as a domain name then ISOCNZ would have
> to obey that or risk fines or jail.
>
> Time will be spent far more constructively looking at how to work in
> partnership with governments rather than trying to pretend that if
> shove comes to push they are not going to win.
>
> DPF

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894