[ga-full] Re: [ga] Swedish gov interferes

The fact is that back in 1997, one of the authorities in Sweden made a
study about Internet with the aim to learn more. At the same time there was
a reorganisation on how the .se-registry was handled (changed from a
single-person registry into a formal organisation). As it, at that
particular point in time, was difficult to say how the new organisation
should act and behave, the study made proposal for a new study taking place
one year after the new organisations has gone commercial.
In 1998 a new study was decided upon by the government and that one is now
finalised and the result will be presented tomorrow (swedish time), the 3rd
of april. There is a lot of guesses about the outcome, but one of the most
likely things is that this study will recommend the .se to become an open
tld instead of the restricted one it is today.

Of course the government can´t change anything momentarily with this study,
but it can be used as the tool to put in place formal legislation.

/ Eva Frölich
NIC-SE

At 22:01 2000-04-01 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>--

Eva Frölich
e-mail:	eva@nic-se.se
NIC-SE, Box 5774, 114 87 Stockholm