[ga-full] RE: [ga] Older registrations

At 11:17 PM 3/28/00 -0800, Simon Higgs wrote:
>>To: simon@higgs.net, undisclosed recipients
>>From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard@dnso.com>
>>Subject: RE: [ga] Older registrations
>>Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:19:46 -0500 (EST)
>>
>>(Feel free to redistribute this anywhere, Simon)

Indeed.  Distributing mis-information is always helpful.

Please be clear that Richard is the owner of DNSO.COM, a site designed to
confuse visitors into thinking that it is part of DNSO.ORG, and which
provides web pages for sending mail that falsely purports to be from
others.  Yes, Richard is an excellent source of information about the
details of this history.

>>I'd like to add I spoke to Jon Postel in person, only once, in Geneva
>>in 1998. We made idle chit chat for a few minutes then I asked him
>>"Jon, what the HELL were you thinking putting Metzger and Crocker
>>on the IHAC committee".

What is most fascinating is that a) Jon virtually never made the kind of
comment that Richard cites, about anyone; that is, Jon was extremely
circumspect in his comments about others; and b) he certainly never made
such comments to me, in spite of my periodically checking with him as the
IAHC work progressed.

How curious that he would make such a strongly critical comment to a casual
acquaintance and not to his appointee.

>>Also, Kashpureff acted with Jon's blessing. Jon told him to go ahead

Well, now, that claim is one of the best fantasies we have seen put forward
on the list.

>>So not only did Jon encourage the development of an alternative root
>>system, he pointed Wall St. poeple at him. Big ISP's like best.com
>>were using it, the ISP I use up here in the country was using it before
>>I ever moved here or ever talked to them. Even the IAHC used
>>AlterNIC roots[2], albeit unwittingly, but that's how much it was

This is a good example of the carelessness that frequently shows up in
these discussions.

The IAHC web page was hosted on a machine that used a co-location service
in California.  The co-lo ISP did use alternic, but the machine doing the
hosting did not.  It went directly through the IANA root and never touched
the ISP's dns server.

>>gaining acceptance - a lot of places really were using it. Not *ONE*
>>problem was ever reported, so stuff your stability arguments.

Problems were frequently report, pretty much everyone saw an email reply
effort fail.

>>GTE Federal Systems used it - until Bob Shaw form the ITU called

One back-room GTE researcher was trying it out on one machine.  That is
rather different from "GTE was using it."

>>Over the years, the de facto new domains working group has been
>>called every name in the book by Crocker and his ilk, and you can't

That's odd.  I thought my choice of vocabulary was pretty constrained and
consistent.

I've primarily referred to it as a rogue effort from the beginning.

As to the continuing foolishness about special position for those who
engaged in the rogue effort to replace the root -- mis-labeled as "pioneer"
work -- let us remember the one, relevant legal review that has been
made.  From <http://www.brandenburg.com/misc/iodesign-judge.html>, with
IANA as one of the defendants and IODesign as the plaintiff:

>           What's most interesting about the breach of contract/estoppel
> claim is that the claim made is that there was a contract entered into,
> or that the Defendant should be estopped from denying that a contract was
> entered into with an entity that the Plaintiff claims has no authority to
> act.  And in drawing that conclusion, I don't mean to oversimplify and
> sound cute about the inconsistency, but there's a real internal
> inconsistency in the breach of contract position and again, the failure
> to establish the elements of a contract.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA