[ga-full] RE: [ga] Older registrations

On 29-Mar-2000 Simon Higgs wrote:
> At 03:49 PM 3/28/00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:
>
>>The circle is broken, Simon.  The IANA did not have this authority.  Ask
>>Sexton
>>for some clarification, he had an interesting exchange with Jon Postel's
>>brother on a usenet newsgroup about this very subject recently.
>
> Since you have requested some clarification from Richard, and Richard has
> requested I forward his text (unedited) in response to Dave Crocker's
> similarly incorrect assumption, it is now appropriate that I post it here.
> Also note that the IAHC mailing list archives are now conveniently missing.
>
> I apologize to Harald & Elisabeth for the diversion from GA business.

Simon, other than Jon saying or alluding that he had this authority, do you
have documentation that he actually DID have that authority?  Where is this
documentation (if it exists) and can you provide a reference for it?  If not,
then this discussion is really moot.

An interesting exchange between Sexton and Tom Postel on usenet recently.

http://x29.deja.com/threadmsg_md.xp?thitnum=0&AN=596107297.1&mhitnum=20&CONTEXT=
954314593.320208902
(If you haven't been to deja.com recently, you might have to click the continue
link to get the message, the thread is under the message if you want to read
the full thread, it is somewhat interesting).

>> Forum: net.internet.dns.policy
 >> Message 21 of 35

        Re: So....
 Date:
        03/11/2000
 Author:
        Richard J. Sexton <richard@ns1.vrx.net>

In article <CUny4.82$LD1.3711@news2.randori.com>,
 T. Postel <T.Postel@ieee.org> wrote:
 >Perhaps cooperation is too strong. You say Dave Holtzman knew before the
fact.
 >Yet it NSI didn't start complaining for a few days. Maybe compliant?

 It wasn't a few days. They wern't complainting, they merely advised the poeple
thet had a contract to administer the legacy roots for that half the
 root servers were no longer slaved to the A root.

 >As advisor to the prez, Ira Magaziner could yell at anybody he wanted, I
don't
 >think that was his style, however. By the time Ira got in touch with Jon the
 >test had been completed, and Jon's attorney had chapter and verse on the
chain
 >of command for the root servers. I think Magaziner was surprised that
 >the authority was Jon.

 I'm sorry, Jon never had that authority. If he did he could have added tlds to
the root servers or moved the A root from NSI, but he couldn't.

 There are contracts that show who has operaitonal and editorial
 responsability for the legacy root zone. The US Government, first the NSF and
now the DOC has always had the final authority.

 >I didn't mean to imply that the agreement between Commerce and NSI was not
going
 >to be renewed, or that Jon didn't know. There was discussion at the time over
 >when is the right time to conduct this test. A week or two before it could be
 >necessary, or a week after it is moot. Jon thought he'd get less flak if he
ran
 >the test right before the agreement was to end.

 It was never a test. For twop years the plan had been to take the A root from
NSI.

 Neither you or I were there. Dave Holtzman was, he had operational
responasbility for the root servers and I'm relaying what he told me.
 Anybody can ask him: dholtz@netsol.com.

 With respect,

 --
 Richard Sexton  |  richard@tangled.web  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
 http://killifish.vrx.net      http://www.mbz.org       http://www.dnso.com

So, please, Simon, provide documentation to back up your claims, that show that
IANA had the authority to introduce new gTLDs, or stop trying to twist Jon's
words into some presumption of authority that didn't exist.

- --
William X. Walsh <william@userfriendly.com>
http://userfriendly.com/
GPG/PGP Key at http://userfriendly.com/wwalsh.gpg