[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IP addressholders - are they represented?

At 09:21 AM 3/14/00 -0800, David R. Conrad wrote:
>Richard,

>> Do you feel the same way about the domain name system?
>
>No.  The DNS is _much_ less constrained by technical considerations and there
>are reasonable arguments that can be made about expression and identity in
>domain names.  As such, direct involvement by those affected by the management
>of domain names is (I feel) appropriate.  IP addresses, on the other hand have
>no implications in expression (to my mind, IANAL) and _really_ should not be
>used for identity (it would make life much, much easier if IP addresses could
>be changed arbitrarily by service providers without end users being aware of
>the change -- it'd solve all sorts of problems).
>
>I think technical considerations should be taken into account when making
>decisions on the allocation of domain names (e.g., it is a real pain to deal
>with the size of .COM), but other considerations are more important.
>
>Rgds,
>-drc

Would I be wrong then in taking your positon to be "IP addresses should
be managed by a technical process, while domain names should be managed
by a political process"?

It seems to me, so far that professional politicians have had their
way with the DNS and the, as you say "people affected" have had
pretty mush no say at all.

As for where Baptista is a nutter or not, perhaps he is, but
we're not her to decide who should be locked up or soemthing;
if you were to create a mailing list to discuss the bizaree
personalities of people involved in the DNS I'm sure it would
be a fun and volumous list. Each side of this debate has
it's interesting characters and if somebody is a jerkface
we should pretend nopt to notice. We gotta be grownups here.

Bseides, as Cerf wrote in his fairly recent draft "The Interent is
for everybody".

--
richard@tangled.web        richard@dnso.com       http://www.dnso.com
It's about travel on expense accounts to places with good beer. - BKR