[ga-full] Re: [IFWP] Re: [aso-policy] RE: [aso-comment] IP addressholders - are they represented?

Richard,

> >> What I would like to see is continued reliance on technical considerations for
> >> the allocation of IPv4 address space rather than a system that relies on
> >> politics.
> Do you feel the same way about the domain name system?

No.  The DNS is _much_ less constrained by technical considerations and there
are reasonable arguments that can be made about expression and identity in
domain names.  As such, direct involvement by those affected by the management
of domain names is (I feel) appropriate.  IP addresses, on the other hand have
no implications in expression (to my mind, IANAL) and _really_ should not be
used for identity (it would make life much, much easier if IP addresses could
be changed arbitrarily by service providers without end users being aware of
the change -- it'd solve all sorts of problems).

I think technical considerations should be taken into account when making
decisions on the allocation of domain names (e.g., it is a real pain to deal
with the size of .COM), but other considerations are more important.

Rgds,
-drc

P.S. I'm told that Joey Baptista is having another tantrum.  I wouldn't know
as I filter him directly to the trash unread.  Given Joey's past actions, I
would strongly recommend anyone who has interest in maintaining a list with a
non-zero signal-to-noise ratio do the same.  For an example (one of _many_) of
his past actions (and their repercussions):

    In the fall of 1995, the Ontario Court, General Division, granted
    a default libel judgment for $40,000 to the police chief of
    London, Ontario, over defamatory remarks contained in email
    messages authored by the defendant, Joe Baptista. Interviewed
    by The London Free Press newspaper, the indigent defendant
    reportedly said that he liked bothering civil servants by
    distributing critical information through his computer, that he had
    few assets and that he would ignore the lawsuit and any
    resulting Court orders. In his statement of defence, Baptista
    alleged that he was an "Internet god" who was "at war with the
    Canadian government". See Fantino v. Baptista.

        -- from http://www.ladner-downs.com/ladfree.htm