From: Kent Crispin [mailto:kent@songbird.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 12:41 AM
To: ga@dnso.org
Subject: [ga] Who has standing

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 11:47:52AM +1300, Joop Teernstra wrote:

> Nii is absolutely right.

Indeed he is.

> There are many people without computers who participate on the Net.  They
> have the right to be at large members in ICANN.
>
> But these are largely not the people who register Domains or  have
> otherwise a stake in the DNS to justify their membership of the DNSO GA.

People who don't have domain names clearly have a stake in the DNS,
because they will get domain names in the future.  For example, policies
that led to domain names costing hundreds of dollars each have vastly
different consequences than policies that lead to domain names costing a
dollar.  By your reasoning developing countries that currently have very
few domain names don't have any stake in the DNS, and can therefore be
ignored.  That is patently false.