DNSO Mailling lists archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[council] NC teleconf minutes July 24, 2002

Dear Council Members,

Please find the minutes of the last teleconference below.
If you would like any changes made, please let me know.

Thank you very much.
        DNSO Names Council Teleconference on 24 July 2002 - minutes
25 July 2002.

Proposed agenda and related documents

List of attendees:

Elisabeth Porteneuve   ccTLD
Oscar Robles Garay     ccTLD absent, apologies,proxy to Elisabeth Porteneuve
Philip Sheppard        Business
Marilyn Cade           Business
Grant Forsyth          Business
Greg Ruth              ISPCP  absent
Antonio Harris         ISPCP
Tony Holmes            ISPCP absent, apologies, proxy to Tony Harris
Philipp Grabensee      Registrars
Ken Stubbs             Registrars
Bruce Tonkin           Registrars
Roger Cochetti         gTLD
Jordyn Buchanan        gTLD
Cary Karp              gTLD
Ellen Shankman         IP
Laurence Djolakian     IP
J. Scott Evans         IP absent, apologies, proxy Ellen Shankman, Laurence
Harold Feld            NCDNH
Chun Eung Hwi          NCDNH
Erick Iriate           NCDNH

16 Names Council Members

Louis Touton           ICANN Staff

Glen de Saint Géry     NC Secretary
Philippe Renaut          MP3 Recording Engineer/Secretariat

MP3 recording of the meeting by the Secretariat:

Quorum present at 15:10 (all times reported are CET which is UTC + 2 during
summer time in the northern hemisphere).

Philip Sheppard chaired this NC teleconference.

Approval of the Agenda
The agenda was approved with a proposal by Ken Stubbs to discuss the NC
chair elections.

Decision 1: Secretariat will post a proposed election schedule to be agreed
upon at  the next NC teleconference on August 1, 2002.

Item 1. Summary of last meeting:


Ken Stubbs moved the adoption of the minutes seconded by Ellen Shankman,
The motion was carried.

Decision 2: Motion adopted.

Item 3: Wait Listing Service - report and vote to adopt
IPC statement:
gTLD statement:
Supporting material and substantive submissions on WLS
Marilyn Cade, task force chair,  invited Louis Touton be on the call. She
reported that the report content had not changed from the draft seen earlier
by the NC but the format now corresponded to the standard specified in NC
procedures. In accordance with the procedures also additional statements and
supporting material would be incorporated into the report to be sent to the
Board. She walked through a summary of the final report and the
recommendations that the task force had adopted.

Discussion: Harold Feld asked if the summary of general comments appear in
the report. It was confirmed that they were in part III 3.

Philip Sheppard proposed that after discussion the NC would vote to adopt
the recommendations and the report. Roger Cochetti suggested that the Task
Force should not bind or restrict the Names Council. He went on to suggest
that the report's elements could be voted on rather than the whole. Bruce
Tonkin asked that a definition of WLS with a reference to the version should
be added to the report. It was agreed Marilyn Cade would ask Chuck Gomes of
Versign to provide text.

Ellen Shankman asked what would happen if the Board rejected the report's
recommendation to deny the WLS proposal. Louis Touton explained he believed
that putting forward the community views was more important than consensus.

A question over the membership of the Task Force was raised but Council did
not think it appropriate to spend time on that issue so late in the day. To
the general point  underlying the question of task force composition, the
Chair asked the position of the the by-laws on the exclusion of
constituencies from participating in an NC sub-group.  Louis Touton said
that the exclusion of constituencies would present concerns under the

Ken Stubbs expressed concern about the recommendation on cost and proposed
an amendment to remove that recommendation. Grant Forsyth spoke against
saying that price is a key issue and is properly considered and reported.
Louis Touton said that a principle was being put forward in the report which
gained support and no specific price was being proposed.

Philip Sheppard moved for a vote of adoption for the report as a whole.

15 voted in favour, 3 voted against (the members of the gTLD constituency) 1
abstention (IPC). Greg Ruth was absent, no proxy given. The motion carried
with a greater than two-thirds majority making this a consensus policy
recommendation of the DNSO. This reflected the vote within the task force
itself on the recommendations.
Decision 3: Report adopted

Roger Cochetti stated after the vote that he believed that the Task Force
and Names Council had gone beyond their proper role over this policy issue.
The Chair replied that the NC had responded to a question from the ICANN
Board in the way it thought most appropriate and helpful to the Board.

Item 5: Status of 2002 fees

Constituencies reported on the status of their payments.
The BC, IP and Registrars are fully paid for 2002 fees.
The ISPCP constituency reported that they would be paying shortly, by the
end of August.
The non-commercials had received duplicates of the appropriate invoices and
were distributing them.
The gTLD constituency said that they had the intent to pay 2002 fees but
could not give a date.

Item 4: ICANN Reform and proposed Resolution.
This was deferred to the next meeting

The teleconference ended at 16:30

Next NC teleconference will be on Thursday August 1 at 15:00 Paris time,
13:00 UTC/GMT

     See all past agendas and minutes at
     and calendar of the NC meetings at

                 Information from:  © DNSO Names Council

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>