[council]

RE: [council] Interim NC recommendations on ICANN evolution

  • To: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@aim.be>, "NC (list)" <council@dnso.org>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Interim NC recommendations on ICANN evolution
  • From: "Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:41:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@dnso.org

The BC supports the new edits.

While we would prefer more detail in a few places, we are willing to accept the proposed language in order to gain broad agreement.

You have done a good job of creating a framework which we can build on for further elaboration.  We look forward to the May 2 meeting and a discussion on policy development.

A suggestion for that meeting: Many of us work in other entities where policy is developed.  I suggest that it would be very helpful to have a short series of overviews of different policy development mechanisms at the beginning of our next call.  While I've heard suggestions that the IETF is a "model", and I'm happy to hear a bit about it, it is essentially a very different forum than the DNSO, so I think we need to look beyond, even while including it.

Policy development processes in multinational business or non commercial organizations would be helpful to hear about.

We might generate a short list of similar questions to be answered by each overview; some ideas that come to my mind follow.

Name of the particular "group"?
Who belongs?
What is the nature of the scope -  national, regional, multiple regions, global?
What is the purpose of the organization?
What kinds of policies are developed?
What is the output of the policy -- back to industry for self regulation? used to guide service or product development such as is the case with standards/protocols? for input to governmental organizations or to governments? other?
What are the timelines like?
What is the cost to participate?
How is outreach and comment done?