[council]

Re: [council] Proposed Amendment to the ICANN Bylaws on Director Term Alignment

Re: Proposed Revision to Bylaws: Alignment of Directors' Terms
http://www.icann.org/general/proposed-bylaw-revision-28dec01.htm

As the follow up to the today meeting, I oppose the Proposed
Revision to Bylaws: Alignment of Directors' Terms.

Rationale: the ICANN process is already very time consuming,
and not efficient. Adding the moving end of Directors' Terms
will increase to the complexity and make this organization
even more difficult to comprehend.

The are years, as 2002, when there is 3 ICANN meetings, and
in January neither the date nor the place of the last one are
known (I am not criticizing, but reporting reality facts).
It will have impact on the date when the Supporting Organizations
will held election for ICANN Board. As an immediate outcome
the moving end will raise unnecessary and time consuming bureaucracy
each year on interpretation of procedures.
Which eventually will transform ICANN to an useless body not having
any spare time to determine policy matters related to the Internet.

I propose the Bylaws be modified with regard to all SO's directors.
I suggest to fit the beginning of mandates with the calendar year,
and keep the SO's elections terminating by the end of September.
Such system could give time - three months - to learn the Corporations
responsabilities for newly elected ICANN Directors.
The immense advantage is that multilingual and multicultural world
can easily understand it.

Elisabeth