From: Milton Mueller [mailto:Mueller@syr.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 12:28 PM
To: mcade@att.com; council@dnso.org; ck@nic.museum
Cc: philip.sheppard@aim.be
Subject: RE: [council] Suggestion re .org TF report

Yes, Marilyn, the problem of transferring authority over a
name during a merger - or those who choose to sell it, which
happens for perfecty legitimate reasons all the time — are
but two of the reasons why "restrictions with
grandfathering" raises a hornet's nest of problems.
Let's not go there.

>>> "Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com> 12/18/01 07:25AM >>>
Cary, Grant is traveling and may not have seen this. I will communicate with
him on the BC input, but wanted to provide a short note to the TF on this
issue in the event he isn't online.

I believe that grandfathered names would have to be transferred in the event
of mergers, takeovers, etc. since the website would probably transfer to the
new entity.

I will ask for some feedback from within the BC and will consult with Grant
re BC input.