From: Elisabeth Porteneuve [mailto:Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 11:43 AM
To: council@dnso.org
Subject: [council] Election planning

NC Colleagues,

Further to yesterday NC decision, the following Election planning
has been establish for Montevideo and after, reviewed with the
NC Chair, Philip Sheppard.

Request to Louis Touton:
The NC members will have to meet for a short time, approx 30 min,
on 9 and 10 Sep, for the announcement of ballot results.
We would appreciate if the ICANN room could be made available for us.
We would also appreciate to use ICANN room for votes by those NC
members who will not have another possibility, two time slots,
08:00-09:00, on 9 and 10 Sep. Thank you in advance for your help.

Request to Registrar Constituency: please consider to designate
a replacement to Paul Kane for votes.

If you see any problem, omission, etc, please let me know.
Elisabeth
--

Election planning:
-----------------

2. Two NC members (Caroline Chicoine and Grant Forsyth) will not be
   in Montevideo. Paul Kane, a NC member of Registrar Constituency,
   is running for Board position and cannot vote. His Constituency
   shall provide a replacement to Paul for votes.

3. We have agreed on votes
            Vote 1 Sat 8 September, after the NC meeting
            Vote 2 Mon 10
            Vote 3 Thu 13
            Vote 4 Fri 14
            Tel conf Sat 15
   The time makes that 18:00 in Montevideo, UTC-3, will be:
        - good time for Caroline Chicoine (UTC-6+1, 16:00)
        - bad time for Grant Forsyth (UTC+12, 03:00 next day)
        - unknown for replacement to Paul Kane

4. Implementation.

   FIRST BALLOT:
   Date: posted on 8th Sep, after the NC meeting, at 18:00 Montevideo time
   Time to answer: 24 hours, deadline 9 Sep 18:00 Montevideo, UTC-3.

   The NC members will be able to answer by e-mail from their own PC's
   or any Internet access provided localy.

   Those who need help will be requested to use a PC from ICANN
   staff room, possible window is on 9 Sep morning, 08:00-09:00.

   The 9 September at 18:30 Montevideo, the NC are requested
   to gather in the ICANN staff room for 30 min. The results
   of the first ballot will be calculated, and announced.

   If we have a winner, the vote stops, and the NC members present
   ratify results.

   SECOND BALLOT:
   If there is no winner in one ballot, the second ballot will
   be generated immediately, and posted on 9th September, approx
   at 19:00 Montevideo time.

   Time to answer: 24 hours, deadline 10 Sep 18:00 Montevideo, UTC-3.

   Same procedure as for FIRST BALLOT.

   The 10 September at 18:30 Montevideo, the NC are requested
   to gather in the ICANN staff room for 30 min. The results
   of the second ballot will be calculated, and announced.

   If we have a winner, the vote stops, and the NC members present
   ratify results.

   THIRD BALLOT:
   If there is no winner in two ballots, the third ballot will
   be generated immediately, and posted on 10th September, approx
   at 19:00 Montevideo time.

   Time to answer: 62 hours, deadline 13 Sep 15:00 Paris, UTC+1+1.

   The 13 September at 15:00 Paris, (13:00 UTC, 10:00 Montevideo),
   a short NC teleconference is scheduled for 30 minutes.
   The results of the third ballot will be calculated, and announced.

   If we have a winner, the vote stops.
   The NC members are convened for 15 Sep 2001 telecon to ratify results.

   FOURTH BALLOT:
   If there is no winner in three ballots, the fourth ballot will
   be generated immediately, and posted on 13th Sep, approx
   at 15:30 Paris (13:30 UTC, 10:30 Montevideo).

   Time to answer: 24 hours, deadline 14 Sep 15:00 Paris (13:00 UTC,
                   10:00 Montevideo)

   The 14 September at 15:00 Paris, (13:00 UTC, 10:00 Montevideo),
   a short NC teleconference is scheduled for 30 minutes.
   The results of the fourth ballot will be calculated, and announced.

   It is expected we are going to have a winner.
   The NC members are convened for 15 Sep 2001 telecon to ratify results.

   NOTIFICATION OF RESULTS:
   15 September 2001, at 15:00 Paris, (13:00 UTC, 10:00 Montevideo):
   The NC Members ratify results. A formal notification is sent
   to the ICANN President, and announced publicly.

   If there is no winner (for whatever reason, tie votes, etc),
   the election process will continue on 15 Sep 2001, according to the
   Convention Style procedures.

5. Reminder:
   The following URLs are related to the ICANN Board
   Director election by the DNSO in 2001:

   * Main document: Description of the election process in 2001
     http://www.dnso.org/elections/2001.DNSO-ICANN-election.html
   * Procedure for nominations, acceptances and endorsements
     by the GA, and calendar for 2001:
     http://www.dnso.org/elections/2001.DNSO-ICANN-nomination-proc.html
   * A list of nominations, acceptances and their endorsements ,
     updated daily at:
     http://www.dnso.org/elections/2001.DNSO-ICANN-nominees.html
   * The NC voting procedure:
     http://www.dnso.org/elections/2001.DNSO-ICANN-voting-proc.html