[council]

[council] [ga-abuse] Request for Footer on GA-ABUSE Mailing List

Dear Elisabeth

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:04:07 +0200 (MET DST), you wrote:

> | From patrick@quad.net.au Fri Jul  6 04:07 MET 2001
> | I know that [ga-abuse] is slightly different but would appreciate some
form
> | of footer being appended.  This would allow list members to
differentiate
> | between private and onlist copies.
>
> ==> Dear Patrick,
>
>     The reason for NOT adding the footer was to DISTINGUISH
>     this small specific purpose related list from others.

Thank you for sharing that with me.

>     I imagine also that the List Monitors have no need to be
>     reminded where GA archives are, neither how unsubscribe
>     from a list - which is the sole purpose of GA lists footer
>     (I was getting a number of questions about it).

I do not agree that is the sole purpose of a list footer.  It also helps to
distinguish a private copy from one made through the mailing list software.

>     I have no particular opinion on ga-abuse footer, but I know that
>     technical people do not like to have a lot of same text added
>     automatically.

I wasn't suggesting a *lot* of text.  Merely "some form of footer*.  It
could be a single line.  I left exactly what was to be appended to your
discretion.

> | Perhaps you could also clarify whether the [ga-abuse] archives are
available
> | for viewing by list members?
>
> ==> When you have doubts, the best thing is to make experience.
>     Did you try to get to
>         http://dnso.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-abuse/Arc01/
>     and succeeded without a user-password ?
>     If yes, please indicate me the date-hour.
>
>     The access to the ga-buse archives is password-protected,
>     and the password was provided (am I correct ?) to List Monitors.

Perhaps so.  I haven't had occasion to refer to the archives.  I had hoped
you might remind us as a courtesy.  With two list monitors resigned and a
new one starting I thought it was worth revisiting the issue.

The archives were mentioned to provide an example of what you might include
in the footer.

>     We may change it from time to time.

Exactly so.  That was my intention.

> ==> I add another subject for all List Monitors and consideration:
>     about non cross-posting of ga-abuse with others lists.

I'll deal with each issue separately if I may.  I will note, for the record,
that you remain opposed to that request also.

My simple request to add some form of list footer was deliberately chosen to
gauge the extent of your co-operation.  If you like, it was a test.
Personally I find it most onerous to have such protracted debates over such
simple requests.

For the record, can you advise whether or not you will add a footer?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss