[council]

[council] Next meeting agenda itlm 4 - representation

NC members,
Before we discuss items 4 and 5 I would like to address the request of the gTLD constituency to allow non NC members to be a part of an NC task force or committee.

It has been past practice for NC committees and task forces to be selected only from members of the NC. The rationale for this is one of representation and authority. It is work for the elected representatives of the NC to do and splitting up into smaller groups makes working on an issue practical. Some groups are small committees where constituency views are less important than the job in hand. Other groups are task forces where the NC feels it best to have one representative present from each constituency. This practice does not exclude these committees or task forces seeking external expert opinion on its topic.

The rules of procedure adopted by the NC specify that only NC members may be members of the Intake Committee. The rules are silent otherwise.
The by-laws state "no more than one officer, director or employee of a corporation or other organisation .... shall serve on the NC at any given time".  The by-laws are silent on NC sub-groups.

An exception has been allowed up to now for the gTLD constituency which comprising as it did of just one member had a practical problem in representation. Accordingly the NC agreed that the gTLD member could nominate proxies to serve on these NC groups.

Without further reference to the NC my reading of this practice is that the gTLD constituency will now be expected to nominate from within its three NC members. We should therefore discuss the issue.

Philip Sheppard
NC Chair