[council]

Re: [council] Stability of the authoritative root

Grant and other Council members:

As an alternate to Erica's formulation let me
propose the following:

"Multiple DNS roots: technical, economic and policy
problems."

"Alternate" roots do not in any way affect the
technical stability of the "authoritative" root.
(Assuming for the moment that those terms in quotes
are appropriate.)

They may under certain circumstances upset or
make life more complicated on the CLIENT side
(i.e., the end user's software or resolver.)

So this is not a "stability" issue at all, if
by stability we mean technical operation
of the ICANN DNS root server system. Indeed,
by attracting queries away from the ICANN DNS
root servers an alternate root may improve performance
of the ICANN root by reducing its load.

Grant: I am collecting appropriate docs and will
forward them to the committee when ready. May 23
is a good deadline.

>>> Grant Forsyth <grant.forsyth@clear.co.nz> 05/14/01 04:08 AM >>>

"Ensuring the stability of the authoritative root: Threats, issues and questions"

Milton, in your initial response to my paper you stated that you had
prepared another document that you were going to pass along in your next
message. I for one, did not receive any such doc.

I would suggest for logistical purposes that any views or documents must be
received by the committee before close of business 23 May.
I look forward to working with Milton Mueller, Tony Harris, Peter de Blanc
and Ken Stubbs.
Regards

Grant Forsyth
Manager Industry & Regulatory Affairs