[council]

[council] Stability of the authoritative root

Philip
I am happy to chair the working group - more correctly an NC committee.
I have noted the suggestions of Milton and Erica on their views of seeking
to define the question before the committee and also Milton's further
suggestion as to what is "do-able" in the short time before Stockholm - and
I agree with his concerns, suggested approach and desirability of not
rushing to concluding policy recommendations.

What I suggest therefore that the committee set out to achieve is to:
1. Bring together material on the subject (I note that the GA has already
called for views - thanks)
2. Summarise for presentation at Stockholm
3. Seek to define a number of questions for further work on the subject
(probably following discussion at Stockholm)

The subject of the committee will be to consider (thanks here to Erica).

"Ensuring the stability of the authoritative root: Threats, issues and
questions"

Hopefully this is open enough to not pre-judge what is and what is not an
"alternative root", provides for inclusion of such practices of new.net and
correctly centre's the subject on a defined role for ICANN and hence the NC.

Milton has also suggested that the subject would benefit from greater
technical definition and input (further to the reference in my initial paper
to a September 99 ICANN technical paper).  I think this would be an
excellent place to start.
Milton, in your initial response to my paper you stated that you had
prepared another document that you were going to pass along in your next
message. I for one, did not receive any such doc.

I would suggest for logistical purposes that any views or documents must be
received by the committee before close of business 23 May.
I look forward to working with Milton Mueller, Tony Harris, Peter de Blanc
and Ken Stubbs.
Regards

Grant Forsyth
Manager Industry & Regulatory Affairs